Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd January 2010, 06:56 PM

Default 200sx

What differences from the manual would there be if i used a sr18det from an early 90's nissan 200sx?

Would it be easier to have this as a second donor and keep diff hubs etc from the sierra?

Thanks, Dan
Old 23rd January 2010, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

there's a few foke on LCB using SR20's

for simplicity your probably best using a sierra donor for everthing except the engine, box , management.

the sale of the extra parts from the Nissan would probably cover the cost of a cheap sierra donor.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 23rd January 2010, 07:52 PM

from what I have read the 20 needs a fair amount of chassis modification though where the 18 doesnt.

Unless someone knows better than me....
Old 24th January 2010, 11:54 AM

G'Day Dan,
The SR18DET is a really sweet little motor, and can be made to produce a lot of power over Std. Having driven a couple of SR20DET engined Clubmans the poewer delivery is out of this world, it just keeps coming!

The Sr18 is lighter than the SR20 as well, = lighter steering, although some of the models had the inlet going over the rocker cover which raised the height considerably, I'm sure you would find a way round that without breaking the bank.
Regards,
Mike.
Old 24th January 2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Haynes View Post
G'Day Dan,
The SR18DET is a really sweet little motor, and can be made to produce a lot of power over Std. Having driven a couple of SR20DET engined Clubmans the poewer delivery is out of this world, it just keeps coming!

The Sr18 is lighter than the SR20 as well, = lighter steering, although some of the models had the inlet going over the rocker cover which raised the height considerably, I'm sure you would find a way round that without breaking the bank.
Regards,
Mike.
Correct on that last point about the inlet but that was only becasue it used a wing moonted intercooler. If you use a front mounted intercooler this is not a problem.
Old 25th January 2010, 02:41 AM

if you choose to keep the sierra front and rear hubs/driveline then the world is your oyster, why not go mad and use the 3.0 twin turbo from the 300zx (if it's available to you) as it has a low engine profile that may fit under the roadsters bonnet. I had a 300zx turbo some years ago and it was an animal in standard form, heaven knows what a roadster could do with that powerplant.

A few chassis mods and a custom propshaft and you can basically fit whatever engine/gearbox combination you like, it's just up to you to design and make them.

Personally I'm using an BMW V8 - I hope to prove that anything is possible! And I have not had to make that many chassis mods to accomodate it.

And here's all my build photo's on a picasa web album http://tinyurl.com/5tbtm46
Old 24th January 2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_miles86 View Post
What differences from the manual would there be if i used a sr18det from an early 90's nissan 200sx?

Would it be easier to have this as a second donor and keep diff hubs etc from the sierra?

Thanks, Dan
I think you mean the ca18det. The sr series only came in the 2.0 litre form in the later 200sx (uk spec) S14 model and the japanese 180sx (s13 chassis).

The ca is technically a slightly better engine in its design bit the sr20 is good too. The sr is based on a modified jeep/pick up engine while the ca is more or less a 4 cylinder version of the RB20det in the skyline.

I'd say you'd get an s13 ca18det engine cheap. Look for the later models around 1993 as they came with a viscous LSD.

If you want to see what kind of power they can produce, check out Norris Designs.