Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th December 2008, 12:53 PM

Question Bike-engined - should I just scrap the donor?

I'm finally making progress into what I originally planned about 2 years ago. I'm going ahead with a roadster inspired bike engined middy based on MR2 running gear. The donor is stripped of parts. The engine and parts I don't need have already been sold. Rest is in storage in the garage.

However I still have the shell sat on my driveway and my missus is getting annoyed by the rusty sight. Now I know I won't be able to get an age related plate because I won't be building it with the Donor's engine. So should I just scrap the shell off completely to save me worrying about the V5 and tax liability and register it as a completely amateur built thing? Or should I cut the VIN plates out, cut it up, weight it in and use the VIN plates anyway. And what photos, docs do I need if I go down either route?
Old 17th December 2008, 01:52 PM
fabbyglass

Chuck the thing away and opt for a q plate as when you come round to mot time they use pre 1975 rules...no emissions..
Old 17th December 2008, 01:55 PM

i didnt know q plates where tested on per 1975 ruels yay
Old 17th December 2008, 02:44 PM

Oh ok. Does that mean there are any extra hoops to leap through by going that route?

Quite like the idea of running sans cat

Hopefully I'll get time over the xmas break to finalise the chassis plans enough to start welding. I'll post them up if people are interested.
Old 30th December 2008, 09:56 PM

Scrap man took the bare shell away today, so it's gonna be a complete 'amateur build' now rather than a radically modified chassis. So its time to start cleaning up the parts, selling what I don't need and making use of the bits I do. Looking over the piles of stuff it might take longer than I originally anticipated just to get my garage back to a usable level.

If anyone wants a pair of doors from an MR2 let me know
Old 7th January 2009, 02:50 PM

Hello Renrut, no matter now but your MR2 was a Mk1 anyway was'nt it? Cats did'nt come in till 1992 so you would'nt need one anyway.
I'm not sure that the emissions test is the same as pre1975 for a Q, when I enquiered about them so I knew which way to go on my build the lad in my MOT station said the Q plate test was only visual (mabye that's what pre 75 is?), but the pre 1992 test was easy enough to pass so long as things were in decent order. I'm going to try to get the age related plate from my H reg Sierra donor.
Old 7th January 2009, 08:09 PM

Hey HBR, didnt realise you were on here too! It is indeed no matter now as the MR2 shell has been scrapped and officially deregistered

However I still have all the hubs and whatnots so I'm still planning to go ahead with the roadsteresque build when I get time but it all hinges on me getting my finger out and not faffing. Currently scratching my head and trying to suss out suspension geometry using the MR2 hubs. Lots of little bits I need to work out on the suspension side of things. Anyone know some good websites or books on suspension construction?

On the plus side my bro has promised me his spare SP-1 engine if it doesnt sell on ebay this week, so once I've got that I can take some accurate measurements
Old 7th January 2009, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Q plate does not mean visual emission inspection please don’t go round telling new builders this as it is wrong! There are several different tests regardless of q plate or not!!

Class 1
if the engine fitted to the car is pre 1975 then it’s a simple smoke test.

Class 2
if your engine is pre august 1992 you need don’t need a cat but your Carbon and hydro carbon emissions will be tested!!!

if the engine was built From AUGUST 1975 to AUGUST 1986 then the carbon emissions must be below 4.5 and hydro carbons below 1200ppm with no lambda test

if the engine was built From AUGUST 1986 to AUGUST 1992 then the carbon limit is 3.5 and hydro carbons below 1200ppm with no lambda test

Class 3
if your engine is post 1992 then it must have a cat fitted and will have a full emissions test carbon, hydro carbon and lambda. Carbon must be below 0.5, Hydro Carbon must be below 200ppm and lambda must be between 0.97-1.03

when you present the car for sva, written documentation proving the engines age must be presented. This either needs to be obtained from the manufacturer of the engine or proven some other way. if you cannot prove the age of the engine it will be tested under the Class 3 post 1992 regulations so be warned!!

There is only one other thing to worry about and that’s if you want a brand new current date registration. If you build a brand new car with all new parts including new engine too get a new plate. The engine will be tested on the today’s current euro emissions regulations not the post 1992 regs!! The only way to get round it is to fit a reconditioned engine as you are allowed one major reconditioned part! Meaning you will revert back to the class 1,2,3 regs depending on engine age due to amateur build status relaxations on emissions.
Old 7th January 2009, 10:04 PM
Super Moderator

another little foot note. now that all mot's are computerised the nice friendly mot computer pulls up what emissions regs the car has to meet so what ever it is at sva will be what it is at mot. :-(
Old 7th January 2009, 10:05 PM

Ah well it'll be Class 3 then, as its a 2000 model year engine I believe (won't be before then thats for certain). I'll probably need switchable engine mappings so I can have an emissions friendly map too.