Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th January 2009, 10:58 PM

Yeah, been here since the start but not been on for a good while due not doing anything with this project but i've got back onto the job over christmas, finished stripping the donor that's been sat outside my workshop for 2 years!
Back to your problem I fitted mk1 Golf front suspension to the front of my grasser Mini, to do this I cut the entire front from a Golf in the scrappy & stripped the bits I wanted from it. I then made a jig that picked up on all the suspension points on the shell & used it to get the mounts in the right place.
This would of course just give you the MR2 geometry but I'd think Toyota did'nt do a bad job. Of course to do this you'd need a scrap MR2 shell to make the jig on & yours is... BUGGER!

Books wise I've got Competition Car Suspension by Allan Staniforth, I did'nt get away with that too well but it's rated by others (must be me eh?).
I found Racing & Sportscar Chassis Design by Michael Costin & David Phipps better, it's an old book but the laws of physics aint changed! You'll have to find a S/H copy as it long out of print, it turns up on Ebay often enough.
Old 7th January 2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshG View Post
Q plate does not mean visual emission inspection please don’t go round telling new builders this as it is wrong! There are several different tests regardless of q plate or not!!
OOH! I'll take my slap on the wrist like a man!
Just what my MOT man told me, just shows when it's not run of the mill they can be as confused as anyone!
Old 8th January 2009, 08:25 AM

Yeah I did think about making a jig over the xmas break before scrapping it, but came to the conclusion that I'd simply end up with an open top MR2, as everything else falls logically where they are on the MR2

Does anyone have accurate dimensions for the standard (sierra) hubs? Then I'll know if I can get away with just using the MR2 ones with roadster wishbones.

For the record it wasn't Toyota that sorted the suspension on the MR2 mk1, t'was Lotus, hence the Mk1 being the best handling one
Old 8th January 2009, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

just trying to help
Old 8th January 2009, 06:53 PM

ash
i thought i read pre august 1995 kit car engines were non cat ??????????
cheers les g
Old 8th January 2009, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

nope its 1992

this is scanned straight from the book

Old 8th January 2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshG View Post
just trying to help
'sok I'd rather have a million things pointed out that I'm well aware of than one thing not and only discover it the hard way

It won't qualify as an age related plate as I won't have anywhere near the points to retain the donor's age. Don't have the engine, gearbox or chassis so according to the points system I'd get a Q anyway. But thats ok, its not the end of the world.
Old 8th January 2009, 10:50 PM

ash
is that from the mot book or sva book
les g
Old 9th January 2009, 09:23 AM

Now there's something I dont like in that emissions data table, engines of an unknown age are subject to a post 92 test! What if you got a c#%* of an MOT/SVA tester & as you could'nt prove the age of your motor it ended up in the post 92 catergory? You could have a Kent or a Pinto which pretty much have to be pre 92 but have to get it up to the later emissions standard.
Old 30th January 2009, 01:50 PM

I have posted this up on another forum but for the benefit of those who haven't seen it yet - here's the very engine that will go in it!

I picked it up from my brother's place last weekend. Last time it was on the dyno it was 140bhp at the wheel

Only weighs about 80 kg too.

Its a 2000 model Honda SP-1 V-twin. Any idea what emissions rules I'll have to stick to?