Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st August 2009, 10:58 AM

Question mazda 323 possibility

Hi guys and gals new member how would a ford laser/mazda 323 engine go coz over here in oz ford lasers are plentifull and cheap. Got three sitting my yard all 1988 models. Ones a driver other two spares. They look to be a low engine and as sierras are not real common its a bit hard check height differances. Hopefully it might open up another more options for builders.
Old 31st August 2009, 12:47 PM

Hi Uggy,

First of all, welcome!

I'm not familiar with the Oz/Nz Ford/Mazda line up, is the 323 Front or Rear wheel drive?

If it's RWD it should be a fairly simple conversion, if it's FWD it'll be a matter of finding a RWD gearbox which will fit or making an adaptor plate to mate it to a suitable box. If you overcome this there's the rear axle to sort. The Sierra ues an independant set up, so you'll need to find a similar set up locally, possibly BMW?

Either that or switch to a live axle (possibly from a ute?) and use a Locost style set up.

Hope this helps mate

Cheers

Chris

BTW I deleted your other posts, you semed to have developed a stutter!
Old 1st September 2009, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggy View Post
Hi guys and gals new member how would a ford laser/mazda 323 engine go coz over here in oz ford lasers are plentifull and cheap. Got three sitting my yard all 1988 models. Ones a driver other two spares. They look to be a low engine and as sierras are not real common its a bit hard check height differances. Hopefully it might open up another more options for builders.
Hey Uggy. I'm a great fan of the 2L FE8 and FE16 Mazda engines. Strong, fast and never say die. Lots of room for enhancements as well. Very underrated motors those.

I've also got life long love affair with Mazda rotaries but cannot deny that a Sierra build in my part of the world will be the cheapest and fastest.

Perhaps one day.....

I can get a 323 FE8 for next to nothing but too many issues to sort out, like Chris is rightly so pointing out.
Old 1st September 2009, 09:24 AM

Uggy
As chris says i would look towards bmw donor if u want to go the irs route.u can buy a crashed one from a wreckers or even one out of rego although not as cheap as in the uk,or go the mazda mx5 route for the irs.
I have included a link with lots of info and ideas for u which is based in OZ.

http://www.adelgigs.com/clubman.shtml
Old 2nd September 2009, 08:01 AM

hi guys the lasers a FWD. thinking of using a nissan skyline diff and a celica box. it just depends on what comes up cheap and close to home nothing set in concrecte untill mounted in the car