Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Donor cars
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th October 2010, 08:02 PM

Default Bloody discs siezed to hubs

was all set to electrolise my hubs overnight tonight but have had to call it a day due to nearly loosing the rag...the discs are siezed to the hubs...i think...haynes manual says there should be a securing clip around a wheel stud...nope...gave the disc a few technical "dods" but no movement ...the discs have virtually no wear so was hoping to re use them ....should i just electrolyise all of it and then dod it again ??
Old 27th October 2010, 09:20 PM

Hi Andy

Those discs can be a real barsteward to remove if they are rusted onto the hubs Removal won't be made any easier once the assembly is removed from the car.

I don't know what you have tried so far but for what it's worth here's how I would go about it.

I would grab a couple of concrete block's & a couple of strips of timber .... I would then suspend the hub unit between the blocks ( Protective timber on top of the blocks )
You should be able to spread the blocks far enough apart & still ba able to support the rear face of the disc.

Once all rigged up with the hub suspended in the air, so to speak .... Smartly tap the hubs outer face with a copper mallet or club hammer ( Protecting the hub with a piece of hard wood )

Try not to keep striking the same spot, work your way around the the hub .... The weight of the hub dangling from the disc should help to do some of the work for you

If you do not have any blocks I am sure that you should be able to cobble something together

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 27th October 2010, 09:31 PM

Cheers for that...wanted clarification that it IS time to get angry with them ...BRAINFART...the vice protected could act as blocks ...brass dolly...and increasing hammers from 4lb to my BFH....20lb !!
Old 27th October 2010, 09:34 PM

try soaking them in penetrating fluid over night before you get the BFH out
Just put some oil/fluid around where the disc meets the hub, leave overnight then attack it as Ronnie suggests

cheers
andy
Old 27th October 2010, 09:45 PM

I hope it goes well for you
Never failed to get one off yet & have only ever dammaged very, very badly worn discs.

Forgot to mention the retaining clip, it will be very obvious if one is still fitted, besides it is nothing more than a gloryfied self gripping star washer .... Most folk don't seem to bother fitting them, tis only to hold the disc steady whilst the caliper is fitted

Can you guess what I have been doing toaday !!?? .... Yep, fitting a new pair of discs to the Jeep

www.roadster-builders.co.uk

Last edited by Bonzo : 27th October 2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 27th October 2010, 11:29 PM

heat disc....cool quickly with water repeat several times this will weaken the rusty join due to sudden expansion /contraction has worked every time for me
Old 28th October 2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KEV View Post
heat disc....cool quickly with water repeat several times this will weaken the rusty join due to sudden expansion /contraction has worked every time for me
I used a combination of the above methods, and that worked for me, I suspended the hub from the disc resting on bricks. Then I used a machine mart touch coupled to a calor gas bottle, it took some heat and several attempts, but it worked. Not something I fancy doing again in rush. I did not douse mine with water as my hubs where cast and I was worried about them cracking.

Last edited by Spikehaus : 28th October 2010 at 06:59 AM.
Old 28th October 2010, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

Find a local garage with a 30T press.

I scrapped a hub after trying all methods and failing.

make sure, when you fit disks you put on a tiny smear of copaslip over the mating faces.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 28th October 2010, 07:43 PM

cheers for all replys... a good scoot of the cheapest penetrating oil from toolstation £1.99 (right good stuff) a good dod with 4lb lump hammer and they were off ...now do the rear hubs need a puller ? another daily question
Old 28th October 2010, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

should not need a puller on the rear..

I have just had to remove two disks from some granada hubs. The monkey taht fitted them did a real bad job. The caliper slide were way over tight, the carrier bolts must have been done up with a monkey gun and the disks had no sign of any releasing agent on them.. Marvelous!

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders