Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd August 2012, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Default Threat to modded cars, this could affect us!

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/armageddon/

If your thinking of a post IVA engine swap, or wheels, or anything....

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:40 PM

im sure that they have been trying to do something similar to motorcycles for years and hasnt happened yet !

i very much doubt that it will be as drastic as that as it would kill a whole industry off !

heres hoping !
Old 22nd August 2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
http://www.the-ace.org.uk/armageddon/

If your thinking of a post IVA engine swap, or wheels, or anything....

TT
Oh this one again, from the Ace by any chance?
If you take the time to read the EU documentation then its about having an MOT type of test through out europe. Since we have one already then I don't think it will have too much impact.
I seem to remember the ACE saying before the IVA came in that the IVA would stop post reg mods, it didn't!
Cannot find anything on this at the DfT.
The MOT is set to get tougher each year anyway and I'm sure some of these things will come it especially where emissions could be affected as the ecomentalists are making a big fuss about lower speed limits at the moment.
Old 22nd August 2012, 08:03 PM

The MOT is a total waste of time if you look at what is driven around our streets these days,noisy exhausts,no suspension etc driven by spotty youths with no regard for anyone but themselves.

If this was bought in there would be very few legal cars on the road.

If at first you dont succeed,avoid skydiving...

No parachute require to freefall,only if you want to do it twice.
Old 22nd August 2012, 09:18 PM

Already answered this on Locost Builders. So this rant is aimed at another person....

Quote:
Right, first off, have you actually read the document? These out of context, excerpts have been compiled to scare people and cause arguments. I recommend you read the document, understand what they are discussing, which are perfectly valid points and then come back. Some of the documents quoted have no bearing on motor vehicles and are just quoted in order to sound 'Official'
I'll simplify it all instead.
A) The EU wants to reduce the number of accidents from poorly maintained vehicles and trailers
B) They want all member states to have an proper recorded, MOT style test (We already comply)
C) THIS IS ALREADY IS UK LAW.... ITS CALLED AN MOT
D) This document is the document that allows for pre 1960 historic vehicles to have exemptions from the MOT.
Old 22nd August 2012, 09:37 PM

Vosa/Government keep moving the goal posts as to items in the test that people have complained about being failed,for instance corroded brake discs that have a small amount of surface left that is still shiny and working so it is passed and avised on (if you are lucky) I doubt the insurance company wil take the same view in the unfortunate event of a claim as they will wriggle out of a claim for the smallest thing.

Old 23rd August 2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerncle View Post
The MOT is a total waste of time if you look at what is driven around our streets these days,noisy exhausts,no suspension etc driven by spotty youths with no regard for anyone but themselves.

If this was bought in there would be very few legal cars on the road.
Something does need doing about modded cars but quite what i dont know. i hopped up a camaro for a mate with a big cube stroker kit. It was making silly hp but he would not spend money on the rest of it, he jumped on the loud pedal on a dual carriageway, it stood up and and shot off like a scolded cat only to break a halfshaft, veered left and went up the bank and ended up on its roof. He only hurt himself on that occasion but it could have been nasty. I think a special version of the iva should be brought in to rubber stamp conversions so that if you add beans there is the brakes etc to go with it, while in there check the integrity of the chassis. Did anyone see that top gear with james may at a hill climb with some old gits in a midget Vs some kids in a hatchback pug with a V6 in it, well a mate of mine installs the engines in those and they are a complete and utter death trap.Apparently road legal !!!!!!!!!

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669

Last edited by robo : 23rd August 2012 at 08:13 AM.
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robo View Post
Something does need doing about modded cars but quite what i dont know. i hopped up a camaro for a mate with a big cube stroker kit. It was making silly hp but he would not spend money on the rest of it, he jumped on the loud pedal on a dual carriageway, it stood up and and shot off like a scolded cat only to break a halfshaft, veered left and went up the bank and ended up on its roof. He only hurt himself on that occasion but it could have been nasty. I think a special version of the iva should be brought in to rubber stamp conversions so that if you add beans there is the brakes etc to go with it, while in there check the integrity of the chassis. Did anyone see that top gear with james may at a hill climb with some old gits in a midget Vs some kids in a hatchback pug with a V6 in it, well a mate of mine installs the engines in those and they are a complete and utter death trap.Apparently road legal !!!!!!!!!

Bob
And therein lies the problem! We want to be able to modify our cars post reg but don't like it when others do!
To stop the type of thing going on that you speak about will be easy, VOSAwill introduce a blanket ban on ANY post reg mod, its the easiest and cheapest way for the Dft to achieve that aim. That will mean your haynes roadster will be stuck with whatever wheels you IVA'd it with, and whatever engine you built it with, and suspension, bodywork etc MUST all remain as it was when IVA'd. That is what ACE have been fighting against for most of the last ten years.
They don't always go about raising interest in the right way, one day they'll have cried wolf once too much!
If you want to be allowed to modify your car in any way then it means others must be allowed the same.
As for rubber stamp IVA - why? If it is in such a condition as to need an IVA the it should be presented for one. The MOT tester can't be blamed, its not for him to decide whether the modifications done are suitable just to test a list of things to confirm they work correctly.
As for loud exhausts kit cars are allowed soem of the loudest exhaust at 99db as opposed to regular cars that are now down to a maximum of 72db.
Old 23rd August 2012, 01:08 PM

Blanket ban on the nut behind the wheel is more sensible and feasable as is a database of drivers with bans etc to stop them getting insured again.

VOSA are not to blame for the EU and english governments cock ups they just nod and carry it out,the VOSA guys I deal with are all decent blokes and help with problems but they are there to do a job.

As most will know the test criteria and RFR are set out in the manual (on line for all to see) lowered springs etc can be failed as can bigbore exhausts and as I said its all in the manual, black on white paper !

Add the tester and you have the problem .

Last edited by flyerncle : 23rd August 2012 at 01:13 PM. Reason: re-read Verns post
Old 29th August 2012, 10:30 AM

The rules in Germany are much tighter than here and seriously limit aftermarket upgrades and tuning. For manufacturerd vehicles it's only permissable to retro fit extras and add ons that were available as factory options at the time. We wouldnt want those sorts of rules here unless kit cars were excempt.