Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Electrics
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th September 2011, 03:59 PM

In the below picture the security module is the black box you can see right at the bottom of the picture. I think all the later Sierra's had one fitted regardless of spec.

The mass of wiring in the picture is all the loom that was removed from Gus's car as it was not required, and his was only a basic model without electric windows etc.

OTR 01/05/14 - 1.6 CVH, Type 9, Bike Carbs, Megajolt
Old 16th September 2011, 04:13 PM

I'll have a look thru my pile later for something like that but I don't remember anything like that but I'm probly wrong! I plan to start picking off all the black tap that the loom is wrapped up in to make tracing some of these wires easier. I've also been picking my way through the wiring diragram for the sierra and looking for stuff I think i'll need to take out. For example will I need to keep things like the engine management relays or the power delay relay?
Old 16th September 2011, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

Yep that black box is the alarm/imobaliser. Present on all post 90 cars.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 16th September 2011, 04:46 PM

Looking at diagram 4 in the Haynes manual (1.6 & 1.8 CVH Engine CFI 1990 onwards), the only essential items you must keep to make the engine run in your setup are as follows.

1. Item 40 - Crankshaft position sensor.
2. Item 57 - EDIS Module
3. Item 112 - Ignition Coil
4. Item 153 - Suppressor

All the other items could be binned without trouble.

Old 16th September 2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedew View Post
In the below picture the security module is the black box you can see right at the bottom of the picture. I think all the later Sierra's had one fitted regardless of spec.

The mass of wiring in the picture is all the loom that was removed from Gus's car as it was not required, and his was only a basic model without electric windows etc.
All this must start to make that wiring loom from premiers look very attractive!

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669
Old 16th September 2011, 05:50 PM

The photo only shows all the redundant wiring. You have then got all the excess that needs cutting out for the lights, and engine circuits to get the wiring neat, rather than having coils of wiring loom.

I never bought a donor only that parts I needed so I had no choice but to buy a wiring loom. If you have a look in my photobucket you can see the Premier wiring loom being fitted.

I would recommend it to anybody. Quality product comes with loads of connectors and a crimping tool.
I even had mine modified by having it made without all the wiring for wipers & heater as I never intend to fit one. I also told them I had the later spec column switches so they made sure the relays were wired accordingly.

Old 16th September 2011, 08:07 PM

Right I had another dig thru my pile of parts and I definitely don't have anything that looks like that. I remember though when my mate helped me strip it that there was some things we left or cut off the loom as they'd be redundant like interior lights etc. so I don't know if this was one of the things that got left. My donor was a really low spec though as it didn't even have a rev counter so is it possible though that it may not have been fitted with the anti-theft module?

I tried a continuity test between the thin red/black starter wire and the blue/black wire at the ignition and I only get a beep when its in position 3.

I did manage to get all the tape off the loom from the column up to the fusebox and traced the yellow/black wire that's got voltage which shouldn't. About an inch away from the fuze box it hits a solder joint where it splits into 9 other wires all of which are yellow/black or black. most seem to go into the fuse box into the relays, some seem to go to small plugs nearby then go back to the fusebox. I got as far as tracing one of the small black splits but then it disappears into the engine loom towards the inlet manifold connections. I did however retry the voltage test against the solder joint and noticed I only got a very small number (0.05) so I retried it against the loomside ignition plug and got the same reading. I must've done something wrong when I tested it last time

Quote:
4. Item 153 - Suppressor
what does this look like as I don't think i've got anything like that wired in at the moment as it should sit close to the coilpack?

With removing all the redundant wires, am I better of waiting till I can get it to crank & run before I start taking stuff out? There seems to be alot of plugs all over the place of different size & shapes which didn't have anything plugged into them
Old 16th September 2011, 08:22 PM

The suppressor is a grey box with single black wire going to it. It would have been bolted to the coilpack bracket on the side of the engine.

Personnally I would try and get the engine to run before removing anything else from the loom.

Old 16th September 2011, 08:50 PM

I dont have any grey boxes like that with a single wire going into them near my coilpack. do you have a picture of one?
Old 16th September 2011, 08:51 PM

Talking

Cant help but think your losing to much valuable build time over this wiring problem. A few of the guys here could probably get to the bottom of it if they were there. Might pay to get a local autospark to have a gander. Set yourself a time limit and if its still no go tie a long rope to the loom, fasten it to the back of your daily driver and drive off. That would remove the problem so you can start again.

Bob

The cave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/my...deshow/mancave

The build http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12669