Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st July 2010, 04:36 AM

Question Front frame again

While my chassis is tacked i have been looking at the wishbone brackets.I have noted that the ff2/ff3 uprights turn outwards on a slight angle which means i will have to pack out the front edge only to get it square with the mount located on u1/u2.Is this a normal or have i dropped a b@##@ck.
The only thing i have wondered is when making the front frame if you turned ff2/ff3 and aligned the side face with the end of ff1 instead of the front face this would position it better?
Old 1st July 2010, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

There's a front fram guide in the book amendements thread in announcements.

Don't know myself as I bought a prebuilt chassis.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 1st July 2010, 09:20 AM

I made the frame with the frame tutorial guide & as far as i am aware have done it correct as it states to align the front of ff2/ff3 with the front of ff1.But because of the compound angles this makes the side face of ff2/ff3 where the suspension brackets mount lean on a slight angle and not be at 90' to the end face of ff1
Old 1st July 2010, 09:48 AM

It will be okay Oz, as long as you line up the suspension brackets to the book by making a solid jig so that the brackets are in the correct position and lined up towards each other, you may just have to pack out the brackets slightly. The sides of the front frame will not be able to see with the nose cone on.

Regards....AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 28th August 2010, 07:48 PM

Well I wasn't happy with my front frame. I split it to reset it but ended up binning it. So I've made two new FF2/FF3. One of the reasons I wasn't happy was the angle that the brackets sat at. So I think tomorrow I might set them so the sides of FF2/FF3 sit square on to the chassis so the brackets will sit direct onto them without having to pack them out. It means the top and bottom will sit slightly skewed to the ends of FF1/FF4. Anyone see any problems arising out of doing it this way?
Old 28th August 2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz05 View Post
Well I wasn't happy with my front frame. I split it to reset it but ended up binning it. So I've made two new FF2/FF3. One of the reasons I wasn't happy was the angle that the brackets sat at. So I think tomorrow I might set them so the sides of FF2/FF3 sit square on to the chassis so the brackets will sit direct onto them without having to pack them out. It means the top and bottom will sit slightly skewed to the ends of FF1/FF4. Anyone see any problems arising out of doing it this way?
As long as the "skew" isn,t too much it should be ok, just be aware that the nose cone is made to fit the front frame like a glove, suggest maybe trial fit a nose during the process you are suggesting Gaz.

cheers
andy
Old 29th August 2010, 01:04 AM

I looked at it this way also and actually thought it looked worse.With the front edge being square to ff1/ff4 there is only about a 2 degree error for out of square .Looking a p36 fig 4.6 there looks to be a secondary line also on the edge of ff2/ff3 which would to me seem to be showing the slight angle generated.