Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th June 2013, 02:46 AM

Cool MX5 Wishbone dimensions

Hi guys and girls!
First post for me so please excuse some mistakes. I'm from the land down under, currently completing my chassis build which is the Chris Gibbs Haynes Roadster plan. I am using a MX5 diff and hubbs. Would like to know if any one out there has worked out the length of the wishbones or knows where I can be directed to to obtain said dimensions? (Obviously Talon have them but I am keeping the Talon option as the last resort!) Am enjoying the journey so far and enjoying this forum and all the great builds that are occurring. Hopefully someone has this information as it will save me some considerable time and mucking around.
Cheers from Leon in sunny Sawtell on the NSW far North Coast of Australia.
Old 30th June 2013, 07:02 AM

Are you following the modifications in the Saturn plans or tying to fit them to a book chassis?

Cheers
Stot
Old 30th June 2013, 08:08 AM

Cool MX5 wishbone

My current plan is to fit them to the chassis that is based exactly on the book plan. I currently have the current model 2009 MX 5 as the donor which has a different diff. I plan on using the hubs from the previous model and am hoping the half shafts fit onto them without too many dramas. This is the plan and we have to have a plan, right! Hence the need for the wishbone dimensions. Regards Leon
Old 30th June 2013, 09:28 AM

For the fronts you will be able to use the Saturn design bones as the front is no different to book.

For the rear I knocked up an example on the plans I did when I was working out my bones. The Saturn design lowers will fit straight on but the uppers would need to be lengthened to 262.5mm, because the book diff cage is smaller, and the brackets would need to be fitted as per the Saturn plans on the side rather than below the diff cage tubing otherwise you get too much angle on the upper wishbone.

HTH

Cheers
Stot
Old 30th June 2013, 11:56 PM

Cool MX5 Wishbone Dimensions

Hi Stot,
a BIG THANKYOU, this info will save me a lot of time. We are not as well organised as you guys, but we are catching up.
Cheers from Leon