Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th August 2010, 06:12 PM

Default Full cage

Hi Guys,

I don't know how many of you would be interested in a full cage to fit the Roadster?

The design is by the forum's own David Dew, and can be seen in this thread http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4827 the kit of parts will include all the tubes, which are cnc mandrell bent, all the plates to mount to the chassis, the seat belt bosses and the plates for feet of the cage. The rear stays will be left long so you can fit them to your chassis.

The tubes are from 50.8mm ERW with a wall thickness of 3.2mm, as per David's plans. This is not an MSA compliant cage, as the front bar has a double bend in it, so is for road use only. If you plan to use your Roadster for sprints etc please contact us as we are developing one for this.

Cost will be £350, this is based on a batch of 10, for a complete kit. Delivery would be £10.

If you are interested can you list your name below, if i get 8 people then I'll get the tubes run.

Kind regards

John

Contact us at component-sales@hotmail.co.uk or visit our website www.3gecomponents.com
Old 29th August 2010, 06:54 PM

Hi John,

I would be very interested in a roll cage, however after doing some research I am looking to get a full cage with side impact protection, as well as a front bar which has 1 bend in it to ensure it is msa compliant and that instead of the front cage intruding on cockpit, it instead fixes to the scuttle area, meaning there is more leg room.

I will be designing this cage myself (using pro engineer and pro mechanica for finite element analysis) so once it's done I'll happily send across the drawings of it for you, i'm hoping to have it done by the end of sept/mid oct, if others are interested.

My Build Blog: http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2736 - Last Update: 31st October 2020

Total Spent so far: Stopped counting
Old 29th August 2010, 08:06 PM

Will the tubes have the birds' mouths cut?
Old 29th August 2010, 08:20 PM

Hi Mr H,

yes, the only part unfinished will be the ends of the back stays, this is because of the difference between the fibreglass and ally tub back ends.

kind regards

John

Contact us at component-sales@hotmail.co.uk or visit our website www.3gecomponents.com
Old 31st August 2010, 11:46 AM

hi i have a mk indy could you confirm if this cage would fit? also the car is on the road so could the cage kit be fitted or is it only a option for cars not yet fully built,many thanks
lewis
Old 31st August 2010, 08:52 PM

Talking of roll bars does anyone know if removeable back stays are IVA'ble.
Old 31st August 2010, 09:22 PM

Mine were bolted at the chassis end and went through ok, they were an m14 thread though

If you mean completely removeable, as in from the roll bar and chassis im not sure, i know its not a requirement to have a roll bar for iva but they get alot of attention if your harnesses are mounted to them.

Last edited by mark : 31st August 2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 31st August 2010, 09:28 PM

Hi Mark,what I meant was fully removeable ie bracket and tube and bolted through the tube and bracket welded to roll bar and bracket on rear tub panel GRP bars.

Make sense ?
Old 31st August 2010, 10:36 PM

Mine is as you described Paul, as long as the fixings are strong enough to transfer the load of the harness brackets you should be fine.

BicMacs where Cack on Saturday......

AndyH

Regards..........AndyH
Old 31st August 2010, 11:03 PM

Yes I mean completely removeable as in using shocker brackets welded to roll bar and grp tub mounting at rear along with suitable re-inforcing at the chassis end and a crush tube or the like welded across some 33.7 tube for the rear stays.

What do you reckon ?

Basically because I cant be bothered to fart about making the fishmouths to the tube ends,and also I have used 14mm bolts and will probably use cap screws in the end.