Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Electrical connection of new gauges (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4805)

HandyAndy 12th August 2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David_17 (Post 43129)
all down to the earth on the sender.

Hmmm, the senders I have don,t have an earth, the gauges have an earth & in the instructions it says " Direct to engine ground" from a terminal on the back of the gauge, which I have done :confused:

Now you can see why I had an auto electrician wire up the major part of my cars wiring :o

Tho, I had success yesterday....successfully wired in the reverse light, fog light & the fuel level gauge...all working as should be ..... I can now tell how much fuel I have ....yeehaa :D

cheers
andy

twinturbo 12th August 2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 43123)
Erm....no, don,t have a T -piece to the senders, each gauge is directly wired to its own sender...

This is why I don,t understand what I,ve done wrong :confused:
as i,ve followed the instructions for each gauge independant of each other :confused:

cheers
andy

I don't mean an electrical t-pice, I mean a oil manifold.

TT

twinturbo 12th August 2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 43130)
Hmmm, the senders I have don,t have an earth, the gauges have an earth & in the instructions it says " Direct to engine ground" from a terminal on the back of the gauge, which I have done :confused:

Now you can see why I had an auto electrician wire up the major part of my cars wiring :o

Tho, I had success yesterday....successfully wired in the reverse light, fog light & the fuel level gauge...all working as should be ..... I can now tell how much fuel I have ....yeehaa :D

cheers
andy

The block is your earth, so unless your ( t-pice, oil manifold, sandwich, whatever ) is an insulator then so long as your engine is earthed then the sender will be too.

TT

HandyAndy 12th August 2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 43134)
The block is your earth, so unless your ( t-pice, oil manifold, sandwich, whatever ) is an insulator then so long as your engine is earthed then the sender will be too.

TT

all the sandwich plate has is an oil seal between it & the block face then the oil filter attaches to the sandwich plate with its own oil seal....

I don,t think I have the sandwich plate the wrong way around, as if I had it positioned with the oil seal on the outside then I imagine oil would/could seep from the 2 mating surfaces ? is that correct? :confused:

cheers for helping me out guys :cool:

andy

twinturbo 12th August 2010 09:25 PM

the thread should make contact anyway.

Which guages are they?

TT

HandyAndy 12th August 2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 43138)

Which guages are they?

TT

This is the type of gauges I,ve fitted

item number on the bay 380252463408

& the sandwich plate is this 380252487013

cheers
andy

twinturbo 12th August 2010 09:52 PM

And you 100% have the preasure guage to the preasure sender and temp to the temp...

TT

twinturbo 12th August 2010 09:53 PM

nice price BTW

HandyAndy 12th August 2010 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 43141)
And you 100% have the preasure guage to the preasure sender and temp to the temp...

TT

Well I thought I had :) now I,m thinking maybe I haven,t, will check tomorrow as the car is not at my home ( wish it was at times like this :o ).

Yes, the price is very good indeed, they do a full range of these gauges..
volts/oil temp/oil pressure/amps/water temp/boost etc, they look quite smart when lit up with an indigo blue colour , sandwich plate was ordered yesterday morning & was in my car before lunch time today, very good service :cool:

cheers
andy

twinturbo 12th August 2010 10:11 PM

temperature one should have a solid probe, preasure should have a small hole.

TT