Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Riveting Floor (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2228)

HandyAndy 2nd July 2009 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriseyj (Post 17223)
I was thinking of having a removable centre piece,
Cheers

i thought the same but then realised that if i need to do any maintenance in the tunnel then the car would have to be raised quite high, so as the car is so low to start with i,ve decided to have a removeable top part of the tunnel within the cockpit, secured with rivnuts.
just an idea that may help in the future ;) :)

cheers
andy

chriseyj 2nd July 2009 10:05 PM

Cheers Andy I was going to make the top of the tunnel removable as well. I get your point, part of me was thinking will I ever need to take a bottom tunnel cover off.

HandyAndy 2nd July 2009 10:12 PM

well the way i look at this is.....
if you can gain access from above then you may as well cover the bottom of the tunnel as 1 piece with your seat flooring, neater too.
thats what i,m doing tho everyone i,m sure have their own reasons for either way.
cheers

andy

chriseyj 2nd July 2009 11:09 PM

Just wondering Andy what size rivets are you planning on using or are you using a steel floor?

HandyAndy 2nd July 2009 11:17 PM

i,m using the same as Ash G suggested in his post, from screwfix.
i,m doing an ali floor & cockpit , with the underside of car where tunnel is completely covered in for the reasons i gave earlier, also being fully covered or more the case that the floor is 1 piece creates a little more strength/rigidity of the floor, in my opinion of course, :D ;)

andy

chriseyj 2nd July 2009 11:25 PM

Do you think those rivets will pull down onto the 3mm that is the floor and box section? If so I think I'll get some of those rivets as well.

HandyAndy 2nd July 2009 11:39 PM

yes i think they will, to be totally honest here, having met Ash G & knowing his technical know how etc i trust his advice totally (Ash :p ) , i,m not a mechanically minded person & had the same concerns of "depth" of the hold on the rivets at that length, maybe Ash will respond with his findings from fitting his ali.
if in doubt try a test piece with different length rivets, i,m sure screw fix etc can let you have a couple of each to test & then place an order.

andy

HandyAndy 2nd July 2009 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriseyj (Post 17257)
Do you think those rivets will pull down onto the 3mm that is the floor and box section? If so I think I'll get some of those rivets as well.

just a quick note,
i suppose it also depends on what thickness ali you finally decide on, Ash G has used 1.5mm ali but you were thinking 1.6mm so maybe worth a test as suggested or even a little countersunk for each rivet to make sure it pulls tight,
last resort being get slightly longer rivets, screwfix have a good stock of various lengths all around the same price.

andy

AshG 3rd July 2009 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HandyAndy (Post 17258)
yes i think they will, to be totally honest here, having met Ash G & knowing his technical know how etc i trust his advice totally (Ash :p ) , i,m not a mechanically minded person & had the same concerns of "depth" of the hold on the rivets at that length, maybe Ash will respond with his findings from fitting his ali.
if in doubt try a test piece with different length rivets, i,m sure screw fix etc can let you have a couple of each to test & then place an order.

andy

crazy fool. i just make it all up as i go along :D

i have used a few already testing my shiney new air powered rivet gun and they hold 2 bits of 1.5mm ali together fine.

im going to rivet my sides and floor on at the same time. i purchased 60 clecos to hold the pannels in place while i pre drill all the rivet holes then i will put the tiger seal on and rivet down.

HandyAndy 3rd July 2009 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 17262)
crazy fool. i just make it all up as i go along

i have used a few already testing my shiney new air powered rivet gun and they hold 2 bits of 1.5mm ali together fine.

im going to rivet my sides and floor on at the same time. i purchased 60 clecos to hold the pannels in place while i pre drill all the rivet holes then i will put the tiger seal on and rivet down.

:D :D
well if my floor falls off i,m coming looking for you !!!! :D :eek:

andy