Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Bodywork and interior (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   New shape bonnet pics. (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6131)

Enoch 22nd March 2011 08:40 AM

Johnw, the new bonnet does not clear the standard efi manifold. It clears the cam covers, injection rail fuel regulator, rear cam cover breather and everything else but the standard manifold still gets in the way. It is easier to mod the manifold with the new bonnet but that lump of alli is a real pain. My engine is set so the sump is 40mm below the level of the bottom rails. I did post about this a couple of weeks back, there is more info in my last post.
Enoch.

spud69 22nd March 2011 09:41 AM

Thats nice to see thanks David after all the work its taken, makes it all worth while. Car is looking real good to and a couple of black stripes will really set it off.....:)

Have just taken one of the new bonnets out of the mold in Rape Yellow, RAL 1021, and looks really good. Just wish we could be getting single seater bodies out of the mold......:(

Cheers....Andrew

AshG 22nd March 2011 10:40 AM

you can :D you just haven't got anyone to sell it to :D YET!

fabbyglass 22nd March 2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 55522)
you can :D you just haven't got anyone to sell it to :D YET!

Why not it

John.W 22nd March 2011 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 55519)
Johnw, the new bonnet does not clear the standard efi manifold. It clears the cam covers, injection rail fuel regulator, rear cam cover breather and everything else but the standard manifold still gets in the way. It is easier to mod the manifold with the new bonnet but that lump of alli is a real pain. My engine is set so the sump is 40mm below the level of the bottom rails. I did post about this a couple of weeks back, there is more info in my last post.
Enoch.

Hi Enoch, thanks for the answer but are the dimensions for the PINTO SOHC EFI the same as for the DOHC EFI? I thought the DOHC head would be wider and the big lump of alloy sticks out on the opposite side to the Pinto if i'm not mistaken.

Regards

John

fabbyglass 22nd March 2011 07:18 PM

How much is a single seater body set Andy?

spud69 22nd March 2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fabbyglass (Post 55544)
How much is a single seater body set Andy?

Dont know yet Mark, haven't yet really thought about it. The 6 piecer, cockpit / nose, engine cover, 4 wheel arches, should be about the same as a 10 piecer mainly due to all the extra work that is in the nose and cockpit.

Sounds like you have some ideas Mark......;)

Andrew

Enoch 23rd March 2011 08:32 AM

JohnW, the DOHC is bigger than the pinto in all dimensions. I have not seen the SOHC inlet close up for a long while - I can't remember if it is as huge as the twin cam one. I would have thought it should be nearer the centre line as the head on the pinto is much narrower. If you can measure from the centre of your engine to the outer edge of the manifold I should be able to compare that measurement on my car. If you have your scuttle and nose cone you could also run a straight line and measure how high the inlet sticks up above the normal bonnet line.
Enoch.

fabbyglass 23rd March 2011 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spud69 (Post 55554)
Dont know yet Mark, haven't yet really thought about it. The 6 piecer, cockpit / nose, engine cover, 4 wheel arches, should be about the same as a 10 piecer mainly due to all the extra work that is in the nose and cockpit.

Sounds like you have some ideas Mark......;)

Andrew

No i can't undo this straight jacket but means my head goes into overdrive so full of daft ideas and questions like what came first the chicken or the egg and how many space blokes did it take to make the pyramids, you know, sensible stuff like that...:)

flyerncle 23rd March 2011 07:11 PM

You should read "Was God an astronaut" Mark,allowing for removal of said straight jacket of course.