Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Progress Report (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4827)

davedew 19th July 2011 04:45 PM

Bit more progress to report this week. After finishing fitting the side panels, scuttle & nose cone. I thought it was time to put the front suspension back on. I have still got to set up all the geometry, and do the cycle wing brackets but it is starting to look good I think.

It also meant I could fit the front brake flexi's and put some fluid in the system. Borrowed Gus's Gunson easy bleed. What a brilliant tool. Bleed brakes in about 10 minutes. Had one weeping joint that needed tightening but that was all. Pedal is rock solid. Left brakes jammed on overnight, and glad to report I had no leaks this morning.

That's another job off the list. Couldn't resist trying one of wheels on to see what it looked like. A few more pics follow for those of you who like to see how it is coming along.

Thanks for looking

Dave

Bonzo 19th July 2011 08:16 PM

Looks as if you are making good progress Dave :)

Coming together nicely :cool:

I bet Gus is keeping a close eye on your progess.

Is that a polo radiator that you are using ?

Not been happy with the positioning of mine ( too high )
Been having a go at moving it a bit lower & nearer the front of the nose cone.

Have you managed to get the botom hose on the inside of the front frame or does it run to the outside of the front frame ?

The bottom hose of the Polo rad just seems to want to run staight into the front frame :confused:

Bonzo 19th July 2011 08:22 PM

You can scratch that Dave :)

I have just had a proper look at your album & I can see exacltly how you have mounted the radiator .... That'll teach me for not paying propper attention :o :o :D

davedew 12th September 2011 10:45 PM

Well a few more photos for you showing the last few weeks progress.

Bonnet is all fitted now & the vent cut out and trimmed. Should help keep the engine temps under control.

Gus also let me have the fibreglass dash panel he never used. This took a bit of modifying until I was happy with it. I extended the middle until it touched the top of the transmission tunnel. I also was concerned about the radius to the bottom edge. So I have extended it to have a full 180 degree 20mm radius to the bottom edge. Should hopefully meet IVA requirments.

Dash still needs trim to the edge, but I think looks good (maybe a bit plain) with the Acewell, and Savage fog light switch fitted.

All keep up the good work.

Dave

HandyAndy 13th September 2011 12:26 AM

:cool: Nice progress Dave, your car is really coming together nicely , lots of nice attention to detail too :cool:

I like where you have put your chassis number, thats where mine is too :cool:

May I ask....have you removed the stalk for the wipers from the Sierra steering column? is it easy to do? as I,d like to remove mine seeing as it has no use to man nor beast :D

keep the progress pics coming please

cheers
andy

davedew 13th September 2011 07:12 AM

Thanks Andy for the comments. I have removed the wiper stalk. I cut it off flush at the base with a hack saw. Nothing hitec I'm afraid lol.

Eventually I want to do away with the light switch, and fit some more savage switches, but the £50 to do it is better put to something else at the moment.

twinturbo 13th September 2011 07:46 AM

I won't bother with the wiper/light switch, I will just fit a dash switch for that.

Looking good dave, the wide scoop bonnet looks fab.

TT

spud69 13th September 2011 08:41 AM

Looking really nice there Dave, it does look good the big scoop to. Want to change mine but i wont get the gel colour to match now after 3 years.....:(

Will look even better when you can get that big ugly steering wheel off to.

AndyH

Bonzo 13th September 2011 09:43 AM

Cool

Brilliant stuff there Dave :)

Your " To do " list must be getting a lot shorter.

Soon be out on a cruise with Gus :cool:

HandyAndy 13th September 2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonzo (Post 64677)

Soon be out on a cruise with Gus :cool:

But.......Dave,s not using the Pinto engine , hasn,t got an anchor in his car :D

sorry, couldn,t resist :o

crawls back under my stone :p

cheers
andy

baz-r 13th September 2011 10:07 AM

looking good dave
looks like your going to have a firm ride with them shocks :p

davedew 13th September 2011 10:19 AM

Thanks for all the coments guys. I was going to put some mesh in the vent on the bonnet scoop, but I tried some edge trim that I had left over on it, and I think it is going to stay like that.

Like you say Bonzo the "to do" list is getting shorter, but all the things that are left to get cost big money. Seats, shocks, seatbelts, lights, fuel filler cap etc etc. Christmas & Bday coming in the next 6 months, so reckon some arm twisting might be happening.

I have still got to sort a rolling road session out to get the carbs tuned. I knew I was going to have to hire a trailer for this, but Taunton VOSA have stopped doing IVA's now. Which means I have got to hire a trailer again to take it to Exeter as I don't fancy driving that far to IVA. Plus point is DVLA is just around the corner from VOSA, so if I pass I can go straight in with the certificate.

vmax1974 13th September 2011 10:32 AM

Looking good there I quite like your rollcage where did you find it

davedew 13th September 2011 11:20 AM

Gus & I made the rollcage from scratch where we work. It isn't perfect but only cost £50 for the tubes, and is something a little bit different on a Roadster.

davedew 19th December 2011 10:11 PM

Well I have made a bit more progress these last couple of weeks. Got the cyclewing brackets made and fitted.

Got the front arches with side repeaters fitted as well. Still got to stick them down yet. Waiting until I have got enough to do to make it worth opening another tube of Silkaflex.

Grill & front indicators with extensions for IVA fitted.

Just waiting for santa to bring the Dominator headlights now.
Still got to sort a couple of tyres, been saying that for months. Hopefully with christmas then birthday might get enough to finally sort the shocks out.

Enjoy the pics, and all keep up the good work.

davedew 2nd April 2012 05:40 PM

Had to take some photos for the agreed value on the insurance the other day so thought I would post them up. Still got to get back lights, and do tub cover but pretty much there now, just a few odd jobs.

davedew 2nd April 2012 05:41 PM

will_08 2nd April 2012 06:42 PM

Looking good Dave, i like your wheels :cool:

twinturbo 2nd April 2012 07:42 PM

Very Smart.

TT

davedew 17th April 2012 09:57 AM

Finally started it again after drilling out the carb jets. Runs quite well now, but after a trip to the rolling road should be loads better.

Actually got to drive it under it's own power. Only out of the garage but still counts as a maiden voyage.

Couple of vids for your viewing.

baz-r 17th April 2012 11:20 AM

looking good dave :)

is there any dyno's rolling roads in the taunton area? the only one i know of in the exeter area is @ tipton st john on the other side of the airport

davedew 17th April 2012 11:49 AM

There is a rolling road at Power Crazy Motorsport in Kentisbeare. About 20 miles from where I live. Gus has just had his zetec tuned there. Really good prices, does corner weighing as well.

Bloke really knows his stuff. Does a lot of rally car prep work.

davedew 23rd February 2014 10:16 PM

Well after 18 months with the Roadster being covered up in the garage I thought it was about time I got my backside in gear and got it finished.

I purchased the last parts just after Christmas and here she is all finished.

After a six week wait this Saturday was the day we went to the rolling road to get her checked & tuned up. Needless to say I was bricking it. All I was hoping was that the engine survived!!

Steve from Powercrazy Motorsport, near Cullompton Devon is an absolute legend. Explained exactly what he was doing at all times.
Carbs were setup spot on before I got there. Purely by luck. Just need a small tweek to the megajolt map.

Here we are all strapped down ready to go.

Rear end was light and jumping on rollers, needed some more ballast!!

Thats me sat on the roll cage lol.

Engine was a 1.6i from a 1990 Sierra, standard output of approx 70 bhp.
I binned the injection and fitted bike carbs & megajolt.
Final output was 109 bhp!!! With more to come if I want.

To say I was happy would be an understatement.

Any how couple of videos also attached. One before adjusting megajolt & one after. Enjoy while I go and fill in IVA forms.

http://s831.photobucket.com/user/dav..._0205.mp4.html

http://s831.photobucket.com/user/dav...N0475.mp4.html

Must say a big thank you to forum member Gus for towing the trailer, and taking some cracking pictures for me.

Cheers

Dave

ayjay 23rd February 2014 10:31 PM

Looking really good -well done:)

TheArf 24th February 2014 08:11 PM

very nice build in deed, good luck with the test

Arfon

SeriesLandy 24th February 2014 08:17 PM

Looking great, not far off.
What did you trim your aero screen with? I'm thinking of putting mine on for iva.

davedew 27th February 2014 10:19 AM

I used either a 7x4 or 10x5 rubber U trim from CBS, and super glued it on.

Well the IVA forms have gone in the post today, so just got to wait now :eek:

TheArf 27th February 2014 12:23 PM

Don't just wait, go over everything again make double sure, it's such a nice build it would be nice to see it pass first go

Arfon

davedew 27th February 2014 01:28 PM

Thanks for the comments.
Trouble is the more I look the more things I find to adjust and alter.

I've already replaced the front ball joint rubbers, as the originals had perished with it just sat in the garage!!

SeriesLandy 27th February 2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedew (Post 96004)
Thanks for the comments.
Trouble is the more I look the more things I find to adjust and alter.

I've already replaced the front ball joint rubbers, as the originals had perished with it just sat in the garage!!

Was that on the maxi ball joints? Mine were shot after 2 years just sat there.
I keep on finding little annoying bits which makes me think I'll never be finished.

davedew 27th February 2014 08:34 PM

Yeh the maxi ball joints, and the track rod end rubber split around the joint!!!
Luckily I found I was able to buy replacement boots on ebay.

I've added gauges, changed gearstick gators, adjusted headlight height, all sorts of little things.

In the end I just decided to go for it. At least if it fails I will have a list.
Fingers crossed though if it goes as well as the rolling road then it will be a first time pass!!!

davedew 4th March 2014 03:11 PM

Well I just spoke to a nice lady from VOSA. IVA all paid for, just need to wait for the local office to call now!!! :eek:

baz-r 6th March 2014 01:10 AM

if you are getting tested at exeter and im off shift i might be able to pop down and lend a hand come test day.

davedew 6th March 2014 12:38 PM

Have asked for Exeter, but still not heard anything about a date yet.
If your off pop on down, I've got Gus towing the trailer for me.

Maybe if we turn up mob handed, they'll be more likely to pass it!! lol

MikeB 10th March 2014 12:09 PM

Good luck fella, my build is on serious stall at the moment.

My ball joints have split to just sat there, anyone got the linke for new rubber. Can't remember where I bought mine from now.

Thanks

Mike

MikeB 10th March 2014 12:12 PM

Is it these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-X-SLIDE-...p2054897.l4276

Thx

davedew 11th March 2014 11:24 AM

They look something like the ones I used. Haven't got the paperwork with me to double check.
I think it took something like half an hour a side to change, was pretty easy.

Well just spoken to VOSA. Paperwork was approved and passed to my local centre yesterday. Apparently I should hear from them with in a calendar month, but it could be a couple of days!!!

Think I'll give them a couple of days then chase.

davedew 17th March 2014 10:59 AM

Well two and a half weeks after posting my application I'm still waiting for a IVA date!!

Exeter currently have no inspector so cannot offer me a date, so trying to get the paperwork sent to Avonmouth.

If you are thinking of using Exeter VOSA, phone first and check if they have got an inspector, it will save a whole lot of hassle!!

baz-r 22nd March 2014 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davedew (Post 96298)
Well two and a half weeks after posting my application I'm still waiting for a IVA date!!

Exeter currently have no inspector so cannot offer me a date, so trying to get the paperwork sent to Avonmouth.

If you are thinking of using Exeter VOSA, phone first and check if they have got an inspector, it will save a whole lot of hassle!!

i went in last week to ask a question and there is a stand in tester i spoke to that is down from kent fyi

davedew 23rd March 2014 10:08 PM

Exeter were pretty useless when I spoke to them. Kept getting told they didn't know what was going on until they'd had a staff meeting, 'sometime this week'!
Transferred my application to Bristol in the end. They have got an inspector which is progress. It is only 10 miles further so not a real problem.