Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Chris's new build of an MX5 based car (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6206)

CTWV50 20th March 2014 11:51 AM

Yes they are working wheel rate out by squaring MR before they have accounted for spring angle whereas hyper coil are accounting for spring angle for MR and then squaring MR.

So my CPM would come out at 163cpm using that method. If I reduce distance D2 by not using the centre of the tire but the lower ball joint to 15" say I get a cpm of 182cpm!

It certainly doesn't feel like I'm driving a modern day ground effect or downforce racing car! lol

There must be more too this we aren't aware of.

CTWV50 20th March 2014 12:15 PM

Found this, It's a discussion about exactly this with some seemingly knowledgable people trying to get to the bottom of the Staniforth correction factor for angle. I'm not sure I'm able to apply it but I'll give it a go.

http://www.ten-tenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126399

There is this as well, but to me this is as clear as mud. I assume this is from Staniforth's book.

http://enderw88.wordpress.com/automo...g-rate-theory/

flyerncle 20th March 2014 12:45 PM

An observation and hope I am wrong,I don't think the IVA tester will like the fact that the locking nut for top suspension joint holds the flexy pipe bracket as well.

CTWV50 20th March 2014 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerncle (Post 96361)
An observation and hope I am wrong,I don't think the IVA tester will like the fact that the locking nut for top suspension joint holds the flexy pipe bracket as well.

Yes I have questioned that myself, I may get hold of a 2nd pair of drag link lock nuts or maybe weld the bracket to the upper wishbone. Thanks for the observation.:)

CTWV50 21st March 2014 01:02 PM

Last night I made some spacers for the rack just to make sure mr IVA man didn't fail me due to the rack boots touching the wishbones. I'll probably remove them after the IVA as the contact is only very slight. I'm using 12.9 strength M8 hex head bolts with washers and flanged nylock nuts.

CTWV50 25th March 2014 02:21 PM

I've decided to give making my own fuel tank a go. The one I was using had a few small leaks but the main issue was keeping the steel flanges from the mazda tank attached to the ali tank. In an effort to resolve this I decided I'd make a steel tank. I wanted to originally but never thought I'd be able to. So never one to shy away from a challenge I made some tank end plates and a sump and tested them with fuel and they didn't leak! I took the end plates to a local fabing place and had them bend some sheet steel to fit by end plates.

They did a good job and it was something I'd never be able to get even close with but there were a few gaps to deal with.

It was made in two sections as it wasn't possible even for them to bend it in one piece, but it made it really accessible to install the baffle and sump in the right place.

CTWV50 25th March 2014 02:25 PM

It's still not finished as I did have a few small leaks but it's getting there. To be honest I'm surprised it's gone as well as it has.

CTWV50 27th March 2014 02:38 PM

I was getting a lot of leaks around the pump/sender flange. Fuel was creeping around and under the old flange behind my welding (I think). I've now managed to come up with a technique to fill this gap with plumbers solder.

Needs finishing off. :)

CTWV50 28th March 2014 12:14 PM

Finished all the brazing needed and made a new rubber gasket from some rather expensive Viton rubber, I’m using studs with nylock nuts and washers rather than the mx5 crappy screws which after being fitted and removed 100 times are pretty useless now. These studs are doing the job but they too are starting to show there excessive use so I’ve ordered some M4 12.9 strength allen bolts off ebay for a couple of quid to turn into new studs as I have already broke one of these softer ones and don’t want to be drilling and tapping if another one breaks.

I ground back the welding around all the flanges too to tidy it up a bit, I was also getting contact between some high parts of the welds and the sender unit cover.

I put a couple of gallons of petrol in it last night and had the tank upside down and shook it about this morning after leaving it overnight. No leaks! Woohoo! Just a little chuffed with myself!

No Goo, no JB Weld, no tank sealer or anything just metal rubber and the mazda donor parts. Mission accomplished! Just need to sort out a tethered fuel cap, weld an earth stud on, sort the vapour drain routing, do a little more tidying up and then paint it with the same paint I used on the chassis.

Got the steel delivered the other day as well so I can finish the roll bar this weekend and then I’ll paint that too. :-)

skov 28th March 2014 12:54 PM

Nice work :cool:

CTWV50 28th March 2014 02:06 PM

I think I'll name it Tankenstien!:D

CTWV50 30th March 2014 08:58 PM

Got my tethered cap mount installed, my 2012 Honda Civic now has a Mazda MX5 fuel cap! ;)

Started welding on various mounts, this one holds the non return valve in place.

I did weld all sorts of brackets on as I decided to do away with the tank straps but I forgot to take any more pictures.

Didn't get to paint anything this weekend even though the weather was perfect. Just took ages to get the last part of that roll bar cross in place so it didn't look odd. Only remembered to take a pic after I'd put everything away and it's a pretty bad one that makes it look wonky but here it is anyway.

As a treat for the missus on Mothers' Day I got here to hold the roll bar in place on the car while I tacked the mounting plates on.

Oscar 31st March 2014 12:51 PM

That's some impressive work, giving me the itch to try making my own tank now...

The fact I can access leak testing equipment and TIG welding through work will probably help me too!

CTWV50 31st March 2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oscar (Post 96470)
That's some impressive work, giving me the itch to try making my own tank now...

The fact I can access leak testing equipment and TIG welding through work will probably help me too!

Thanks, that will definitely be a big advantage if you plan on having a go.:)

CTWV50 31st March 2014 08:30 PM

Better Image of the roll bar all cleaned up.

And my proposed rear stay positions on the car.

Got a quote for powder coating it of £40 but I need to make sure it's nice and clean so it doesn't need media blasting.

CTWV50 2nd April 2014 11:56 AM

Finished the tank. Paint job is pretty awful, looks like someone poured the paint on and spread it around with a stick but that epoxy mastic paint is fairly difficult to get even when you have all sorts of nooks and crannies to deal with, but it should help seal it up just incase I missed any longterm tiny leaks.

I now have no tank straps, it simply bolts on to the chassis, all the pipe clip brackets are now welded directly to the tank including the drain. I also attached a couple of handles as I intend to take it to a petrol station and brim it and the handles will make it easy to lift it into place on the car.

Left it testing today, inverted with 4 litres of fuel in it. It better not show any leaks when I get home.:rolleyes:

CTWV50 2nd April 2014 01:29 PM

Just realised it was my build threads 3rd birthday on Monday!

CTWV50 2nd April 2014 07:27 PM

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Tank doesn't move with the new brackets, absolutely brimmed it at the garage, no leaks and my car still starts. Thank goodness for that, I was beginning to really miss starting it up and having my little tootle arounds. 8 gallon capacity almost on the nose by my reckoning.

CTWV50 4th April 2014 10:35 AM

Finished by roll bar and supports. Took a while to do but I'm really very happy with it and would quite happily be the crash test dummy that tested it! But let's hope it never needs to be tested.

It's all CDS btw there's a guy called tom (tube bender) iirc on ebay selling the stuff fairly reasonably priced. The 45mm hoop itself cost me £60 and 5 metres of 38mm cost around another £70 I think all delivered foc. I had some crazy quotes from some companies who are just taking the p**s with their prices.

Davidbolam 4th April 2014 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 96517)
Finished by roll bar and supports. Took a while to do but I'm really very happy with it and would quite happily be the crash test dummy that tested it! But let's hope it never needs to be tested.

It's all CDS btw there's a guy called tom (tube bender) iirc on ebay selling the stuff fairly reasonably priced. The 45mm hoop itself cost me £60 and 5 metres of 38mm cost around another £70 I think all delivered foc. I had some crazy quotes from some companies who are just taking the p**s with their prices.

The roll bar is looking very good. It looks very caterham with the way it tilts forward. You seem to be cracking on with the build nicely.

Keep posting the photos

David

CTWV50 5th April 2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 96521)
The roll bar is looking very good. It looks very caterham with the way it tilts forward.

Well it was based on that design with the excuse that it gave more protection if needed. But basally I just liked the way they looked. I'm surprised how welll it's come out tbh.

Quote:

You seem to be cracking on with the build nicely.

I've had a good run for the last 3 months. I'm using the forum posts as a source of motivation, and hope it spurs someone else on too. I can now see the finish line now all the problems I had have been solved.

Quote:

Keep posting the photos

David

I will, but this weekend I'm under orders to sort the bathroom out, not a job you can start and not finish. And come Monday I'm moving the the business to new premises so no new updates for a while probably.

Yesterday though I did take it for a spin up the neighbours driveway. No one was home so I did my first ever donut by their green houses, felt great and surprisingly controllable. Can't wait to get it on the road.:D

CTWV50 6th April 2014 11:20 PM

As promised, nothing done this weekend. Only body lights and interior to finish! Honest!

Davidbolam 11th April 2014 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 96366)
Last night I made some spacers for the rack just to make sure mr IVA man didn't fail me due to the rack boots touching the wishbones. I'll probably remove them after the IVA as the contact is only very slight. I'm using 12.9 strength M8 hex head bolts with washers and flanged nylock nuts.

Hi there. What thickness of aluminium did you use for your spacers

I've just realised I've got a problem there as well! My car now looks like it has been taken to bits. I most likely going to have to move my radiator upwards.

Cheers

David

CTWV50 11th April 2014 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 96612)
Hi there. What thickness of aluminium did you use for your spacers

I've just realised I've got a problem there as well! My car now looks like it has been taken to bits. I most likely going to have to move my radiator upwards.

Cheers

David

THIS IS THE BAR I USED BUT YOU COULD PROBABLY GET AWAY (oops caps) with less thickness than 15mm. Why will you need to move your rad?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151080230038

30mm x 15mm x 250mm

Davidbolam 11th April 2014 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 96613)
THIS IS THE BAR I USED BUT YOU COULD PROBABLY GET AWAY (oops caps) with less thickness than 15mm. Why will you need to move your rad?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151080230038

30mm x 15mm x 250mm

I've mounted my radiator fairly low and the bottom hose will now rub on the steering rack.

All part of the fun of building a car. I kind of hoped my car was nearly finished but now it's in lots bits in the garage.

Thanks for the link

David

CTWV50 11th April 2014 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 96616)
I've mounted my radiator fairly low and the bottom hose will now rub on the steering rack.

All part of the fun of building a car. I kind of hoped my car was nearly finished but now it's in lots bits in the garage.

Thanks for the link

David

You could reroute the hose, I used the mazda metal bend to get it up higher out the way.

CTWV50 11th April 2014 01:27 PM

Actually I think I have enough aluminium bar and a spare mazda bend somewhere if you want them.

CTWV50 11th April 2014 01:45 PM

Well that's the backend sorted, black matt/satin powder coated the roll bar. Refitted it immediately. It looks to tall in all these pictures but looks fine in person. Can't figure out why?

Davidbolam 11th April 2014 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 96619)
Actually I think I have enough aluminium bar and a spare mazda bend somewhere if you want them.

The aluminium would be handy. Drop me a pm with a price and payment details and I will get it to you. I don't need the bend as I'm going to lift the whole radiator. My radiator isn't as far forward as yours so it wouldn't fit.

Ps the roll bar looks very good.

David

CTWV50 11th April 2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davidbolam (Post 96621)
The aluminium would be handy. Drop me a pm with a price and payment details and I will get it to you. I don't need the bend as I'm going to lift the whole radiator. My radiator isn't as far forward as yours so it wouldn't fit.

Ps the roll bar looks very good.

David

Send me your address and I'll get it out to you no charge. :)

CTWV50 13th April 2014 10:02 AM

My face very, very early this morning!

skov 13th April 2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 96633)

Have you been out doing doughnuts again? :D

PorkChop 13th April 2014 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 96634)

That's what I look like when I see doughnuts, lovely, lovely sweet doughnuts covered in sugar.... :D

Oh, sorry, wrong kind of doughnuts. My bad.

CTWV50 13th April 2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skov (Post 96634)

Absolutely not, I have no idea what you're talking about?

CTWV50 13th April 2014 07:28 PM

Fitted a 3mm steel sump guard this morning....

More of a rock (speed bump) slider. Got the car on a very level surface today sump guard clearance is 60mm:eek: , FF bottom rail is 108mm.

Then I spent the rest of the day playing with the backend bodywork and discovered my tank drain was in the way so I'll be moving that.:rolleyes:

Red body work looks great with the black everything else.

ayjay 13th April 2014 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 96633)

TOMMY COOPER:D :D :D

CTWV50 13th April 2014 07:58 PM

Just like that!

flyerncle 15th April 2014 09:23 AM

Tommy's clean shaven.....:p

CTWV50 18th April 2014 06:42 AM

No progress on the car, but I have now got all my lights and mounting equipment. Excited!

Ordered the from Caterham in the end, they are a bit more expensive than other suppliers but after a very bad experience with the quality of other suppliers I went direct to Caterham, and as I'm trying to emulate the look of a Red Caterham R300 I splashed out a little.:D

The quality of these Caterham parts are outstanding I'll post pics as soon as I can.

In other news I've used my new found metal working skills to secure the rear entrance of my new premises, all in 3 and 2mm steel with half inch bars behind the window. Looks a bit like a prison cell!:eek:

Davidbolam 18th April 2014 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 96672)
No progress on the car, but I have now got all my lights and mounting equipment. Excited!

Ordered the from Caterham in the end, they are a bit more expensive than other suppliers but after a very bad experience with the quality of other suppliers I went direct to Caterham, and as I'm trying to emulate the look of a Red Caterham R300 I splashed out a little.:D

The quality of these Caterham parts are outstanding I'll post pics as soon as I can.

In other news I've used my new found metal working skills to secure the rear entrance of my new premises, all in 3 and 2mm steel with half inch bars behind the window. Looks a bit like a prison cell!:eek:

What are you doing in your new premises? Is this for work or to store you car in?

David