Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Announcements (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Got a new engine!! (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6867)

Tilly819 4th August 2011 10:10 PM

Got a new engine!!

10 points if you now what it is! its an easy one

tilly

deezee 4th August 2011 10:18 PM

Is it the K20?

Tilly819 4th August 2011 10:21 PM

not quite but almost

twinturbo 4th August 2011 10:23 PM

well the picture is dreadful.

it's a 4pot twin cam, probably 16V.

One would guess 2.0.

S2000?

twinturbo 4th August 2011 10:24 PM

picture changed.....

les g 4th August 2011 10:24 PM

ummm s2000
cheers les g

monsterob 4th August 2011 10:28 PM

jammy bugger bet it set you back a pretty penny tho ? or have the prices on these engines dropped?
:cool:

Tilly819 4th August 2011 10:34 PM

it was not cheep but i got it for less than the going rate. prices have dropped a bit also which helped

wanted that engine when i was first building the chassis but just could not afford it. but good things come to those who weight :D

tilly

monsterob 4th August 2011 10:39 PM

id be over the moon with that id love one in any chassis ! even an old mobility scooter chassis !! i had a b16a1 in a mini clubman went like stink ! i hope you know what youve let yourself in for !

its going to be fun especially when it hits the magical vtec point ! which you know is movable and programable ? just dont use cheap chips off egay. would love a go when youve got it in there.

actually ive not actually been out in any roadster erm ...... anyone help me out ?

lol :D

monsterob 4th August 2011 10:40 PM

new side panel required aswell bummer ?

Tilly819 4th August 2011 10:44 PM

yeh its looking promising for a nice fit im going to have to chop the trans tunnel abit and make a new pedal box, carnt wait for the Vtec,

i have a cunning plan for the side pannel that i think will look good but i might keep that as a surprise as if i go ahead with it i expect everyone will want one *grin*

tilly

AshG 4th August 2011 10:49 PM

finally got fedup with the bike engine then. told you you would. im suprised you need to chop the tt. i managed to get a big fat omega box in mine without changing a thing on the chassis.

monsterob 4th August 2011 10:56 PM

Quote:

managed to get a big fat omega box in mine without changing a thing on the chassis.

wish youd said that about a year ago ash id have got mr handy andy to knock me a whole chassis up saved time and heartache ! still getting closer !:D

Tilly819 4th August 2011 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 62233)
finally got fedup with the bike engine then. told you you would.

It threw a rod, lol would love to have another bike engine but since i have the opotunety to try something else i thought i would

i think it might fit without chopping the tunnel but i want to get it as far back as i can

tilly

mark 6th August 2011 05:33 PM

Document your build well as thats what will be going in mine once im bored with the st motor :rolleyes:

My brother had an s2000 for a while,they are superb engines only thing they lack on the road in the s2000 is torque as they only make 150lbs/ft and as soon as you get into 3rd and 4th they aint that quick but that isnt going to matter in a roadster as its half the weight :D that is going to be one seriously quick roadster with very useable power

My st motor switches the vvt at 3k where the power is around 110bhp and by 4500 its 185bhp and thats a good kick up the arse!

I know that the s2000 makes 150bhp pre vtec then up to 240 so you are gonna have some serious fun when it kicks in!

Wouldnt bother using a vtec controller just leave it set at factory position (6k if i remember right) i had one on my integra and you loose the kick you get when it comes in if you have it switching lower and you dont really make any more power lower down the revs anyway

Ps. Im jelous.

CTWV50 6th August 2011 09:07 PM

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it and where did you buy it. PM me if you don't want to disclose publicly. Dreamed about one of these engines....maybe one day, after I've done everything else, like built the car!!

Tilly819 6th August 2011 11:20 PM

hi mark, i started modding the tunnel today should have it done by tomorrow afternoon i think, i have taken a couple of photos so i might post them tomorrow night after iv finished welding in the new tubes.

im also generating a list of things i need to buy, main thing is an oil filter relocation kit since it hits the steering down link bar, but i was expecting that so its not a big surprise also need a new propshaft making and will need to get some tube to make a new manifold, i am considering doing this one in mild steel the having it coated rather than stainless but we will have to see

CTWV50 PM sent

cheers tilly

les g 7th August 2011 12:57 AM

i,m stil waiting for my 10 points
chee les g

SeriesLandy 7th August 2011 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by les g (Post 62313)
I'm still waiting for my 10 points
cheers les g

Thats because TT got the answer in first not you les.:p

Tilly819 8th August 2011 09:53 AM

Couple of progress photos

Tilly819 8th August 2011 06:04 PM

Oh and i almost forgot 10 points for TT and Les

tilly

Tilly819 9th August 2011 02:55 PM

Ordered a new prop shaft today, might even be done tomorrow, hopefully wont be too long before its back on the road

tilly

AshG 9th August 2011 03:03 PM

once all the manifolds are back on i would try very hard to get that diagonal brace back in or at least some reinforcements as that is the weakest part of the chassis and you just made it weaker by chopping the diagonal out. managed to keep mine in with the Saab engine.

did you ever get round to playing with your suspension?

Tilly819 9th August 2011 03:19 PM

i wondered how long it would take for someone to comment on that, it is indeed my plan to replace the diagonal brace and also incorporate a second on the other side though they will not be exactly the same as they were due to the amount of space available, as for the suspension i did have a little play with it but not a lot, all theory at the moment but it certainly is possible to improve but like you said about the engine bay, the suspension can only be as good as the chassis and if the chassis flexes "which it does" then the suspension does not do what is it supposed to.

tilly

AshG 9th August 2011 10:54 PM

true but unless its a full out race car a little bit of compliance in the chassis can be helpful on poor surfaces.

Tilly819 11th August 2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AshG (Post 62486)
true but unless its a full out race car a little bit of compliance in the chassis can be helpful on poor surfaces.

Very ture, however a flexable chassis can lead to premature component failure of parts fixed to the chassis since as the chassis flexes they are exposed to stresses that they were not designed for. as you very corectly said on a race car were every gram counts and parts are shaved to a minimum then this can by crytical however on our cars this is very unlightly to be a problem due to the material thinkness and size of components spec'd in the design. it is possibe to build a far lighter stiffer chassis however i would not fancy using it on the road.

les g 11th August 2011 11:34 AM

Hi Tilly
me and tj know a bloke who is puttin an s2000 in a robin hood
have not spoke to him for ages it might be done now...
but i have his contact details if you wanted to speak with him
shoot the breeze/or sort any snags
let me know
cheers les g

MarkB 12th August 2011 07:52 PM

Why would anyone waste an engine like that in a Robin Hood.......:eek:

les g 12th August 2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkB (Post 62683)

i dont care what it went in mate
he put in the engine/box and diff complete running gear
i only met him coz he sold me the diff /beam axle thing/driveshafts/uprights/drums/new brakes/new spring kits/new wheel bearings and wheel cylinders for £45 :D
you gotta be in it to win it ;)
cheers les g

wylliezx9r 12th August 2011 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkB (Post 62683)

I second that one it amazes me how people like to waste their money and time. A neighbor used to have a robin hood with a high power turbo cosworth in, I thought the same about that.

monsterob 12th August 2011 10:11 PM

is it not each to their own

and why not try to make a car better ?

alga 14th August 2011 11:35 PM

Well, technically, S2000 is the car, and this engine is F20C. Happy for you, Tilly, I think this is the awesomest engine for a Seven.

MarkB 15th August 2011 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monsterob (Post 62705)
is it not each to their own

and why not try to make a car better ?

Yes it is each to their own and yes it is good to make a car better BUT putting a mad engine in something that doesn't handle and is worth less than 10p is a waste of time and effort.:)

Tilly819 15th August 2011 09:44 AM

Alga .... a man after my own heart you are indeed corect it is the F20C and im so glad someone is as podantic as myself with technicalitys... lol

as for this debate on fitting a S2000 lump into a robbin hood at inital thought it does seem abit of a waste, BUT and it is a big BUT...
If it makes the owner happy and puts a smile on there face then it is worrth every penny, every drop of sweat, tears and blood that it takes to fulfill there desire on the flip side if they find that they dont like it at the end of the day then yes is has indeed been a waste of time but that judgment can only be made by the person who drives the car, people may think its pointless but if it makes the driver smile then its worth it.

tilly

CTWV50 15th August 2011 10:00 AM

A Robin Hood looks very similar to a Haynes Roadster, or am I missing something?:confused:

Tilly819 15th August 2011 10:11 AM

the old robbin hood are very differant, the new GBS (formaly robin hood) Zero is similar

tilly

CTWV50 15th August 2011 06:53 PM

Ahh I see!

Tilly819 17th August 2011 09:12 PM

quick update

couple of engine mounts welded in, still some bracing tubes to be added to the bay area and also look what the post man gave me today.... :)

tilly

Tilly819 18th August 2011 09:44 PM

bit of extra chassis

this will be crossed when done rather than just being a single

tilly

HandyAndy 18th August 2011 10:23 PM

Nice work Tilly :cool:

That Roadster is gonna be "something else" with that engine :eek: :cool: ( & I thought it was quick when you took me for spin at stoneleigh )

Enjoying watching your progress .

cheers
andy