Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Welding gas (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7856)

vmax1974 27th March 2012 03:34 PM

Welding gas

I have just found a great source of the big gas bottles the 5 foot boc type ones

So I am going to offer to get some in and when any of you are in the area getting chassis kits or parts you can pick them up from me

They are £45 quid for the gas and bottle and they are rent free and they are co2/argon mix
If you want one message me and let me know when you will come for it and I will get them in for you

K4KEV 27th March 2012 05:39 PM

Crikey...thats a bargain...do they do other gasses as well?

vmax1974 27th March 2012 05:51 PM

Yeah pure argon oxygen accetaline propane what you after I know the argon is only 10 quid more

shh120m 27th March 2012 07:00 PM

proper bargain,

I wish id known a fortnight ago, iv just signed up to bloody energas

vmax1974 27th March 2012 07:03 PM

Wish I had known too my chassis would have been much further on lol

shh120m 27th March 2012 07:57 PM

does that mean that youv finished with the little regulator? could prbably do with it back soon if you have, i think the bloke wants his welder back to fix his go kart. Any pics of chassis?

vmax1974 27th March 2012 08:05 PM

Yeah finished with it thanks will put it in the car and drop it down in next week not ice chance to get much done over the last few weeks been manic at work but kids are off next week so should calm down a bit

vmax1974 30th March 2012 12:24 PM

Anyone else for the cheap gas although I am going to start and add 5 quid to a bottle for my time if you want any just let me know

brainbug007 30th March 2012 12:50 PM

I would have taken one of these but you live way to far away..

K4KEV 30th March 2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brainbug007 (Post 71716)
I would have taken one of these but you live way to far away..

why not get two and sell one to cover your fuel

vmax1974 31st March 2012 12:12 PM

You should have still asked the daughter in law went down to bristol the other day

vmax1974 31st March 2012 04:44 PM

I was just thinking about the stoneleigh show and if enough people want gas I could hire a i van and bring it to you at the show whats everyones thoughts

Not Anumber 31st March 2012 06:25 PM

Might go for one when i'm there on Tuesday.

vmax1974 31st March 2012 06:45 PM

Sure what you after and I will get it in

MrsVmax 6th April 2012 08:28 PM

So lovely to see all the builders as they come to collect bottles .....just let me know what cake you like - the kettle's always on :D

robo 7th April 2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsVmax (Post 72084)
So lovely to see all the builders as they come to collect bottles .....just let me know what cake you like - the kettle's always on :D

With invites like this you had better build a bigger car park:)

Bob

Not Anumber 7th April 2012 10:35 PM

Can you get the 3' bottles, argo shield or plain CO2 ? The 5' bottles are great value but I dont have the space or the need for that much gas. Ive got the regulator for a 3' bottle too ?

vmax1974 7th April 2012 10:54 PM

I can only get the 5ft bottle and only in argon or co2/argon mix the beauty of them is that the bottles are rent free and no contracts or deposits so even if it takes the next 5 years to use a bottle its will still work out cheaper and at 45+my 5 pound running about fee for the co2/argon mix its a bargin what ever way you look at it

Hope thats of help

waynes world 12th April 2012 07:44 PM

I use the pub gas c02 cylinders, you could get a good few chasis out of one 10l cylinder, no rental and only around £10-£15 depending on where you get them from. I have used it for over 10 years, welded trailers to full chassis for off roaders so give an good weld;)

HandyAndy 12th April 2012 11:31 PM

I used CO2 ( pub style bottles ) to weld my chassis,
BUT
After recently getting a bottle from Vmax of Argon Mix & connecting it up to my Mig & having a play/practice welds, I wish I,d used the Argon Mix ,
I,m new to welding ( went to Night School to learn the basics to start my Roadster Build) & just seem to find it so much smoother ( not sure how to describe the difference) when using the Argon Mix, the weld pool seemed to flow so much easier, hardly any splatter at all, come to think of it none at all.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing eh :o :) ( It was suggested to me at the beginning of my build to use the Mig mix but I found it nigh on impossible to obtain without getting involved with a rental contract etc :( , so CO2 it was to be )

I now have a 5ft Bottle that will last me ages & ages :cool:

cheers
andy

brainbug007 13th April 2012 08:28 AM

I used the small disposable co2 bottles for my chassis as well and wish I'd have got one of these back then. I must've used at least 5-8 bottles and at £15 a go it didn't work out too cheap. I also tried an argon/co2 mix recently and like you andy wished I'd have used that as I seem to get much better welds with it.

vmax1974 13th April 2012 03:34 PM

I did a little bit of my chassis with co2 and found it a little cold for me then found my source of the argon mix and wow what a difference

A pub size 10 litre bottle of co2 is about 15 quid

A 50 litre bottle of the argon mix from me is 50 quid better weld less money size for size

waynes world 13th April 2012 05:19 PM

Thing is i only use pub co2 as i work for a gas supplies company and i get it free;) , we do all gases but air products are tight fisited gits and even i dont get a discount, but i have a way as i did with an 47l oxy cylinder, just need to wait for a cougar five to pop up;) .
The pub co2 is meant to give a hotter weld, not that i have ever could tell the diffference as i once had a cougar five, this is the equilavent of the BOC argoshield.

vmax1974 13th April 2012 05:44 PM

The bottle's I can get are all ex air products bottles so you may find mine easier to get filled

jmh 13th April 2012 08:32 PM

Great Service

Hi,

I meant to post last weekend when I went to go and get a bottle of VMax, all I can say is thoroughly helpful chap and the bottle of Argon is great.

Certainly better than having to pay rent for a bottle!

Thanks for all the help

Jonathan

vmax1974 21st April 2012 02:02 PM

Any more wanting gas at stoneleigh so far not enough to warrant me getting the van to bring gas down pm me if you want me to bring you a bottle down

The V8 Files 27th April 2012 04:36 PM

I'm going to on the lookout for an Argon bottle, trouble is I'm a bit far away from you :( stoneleigh is closer but I don't think I can make it to the show.

vmax1974 27th June 2012 11:42 AM

Just to let people know I just been onto my gas supplier and the price has gone up to so the bottles are now 65 quid each for both the pure argon and the mix will be getting a few argon and the mix in so if anyone is in need of any gas get in touch

flyerncle 27th June 2012 03:40 PM

Can you do 700 mm Dave ?

robo 27th June 2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmax1974 (Post 71635)
I have just found a great source of the big gas bottles the 5 foot boc type ones

So I am going to offer to get some in and when any of you are in the area getting chassis kits or parts you can pick them up from me

They are £45 quid for the gas and bottle and they are rent free and they are co2/argon mix
If you want one message me and let me know when you will come for it and I will get them in for you

The size is one thing the price another , what about contents? How does this compare with say a boc bottle of the same size?

Bob

vmax1974 27th June 2012 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robo (Post 75187)
The size is one thing the price another , what about contents? How does this compare with say a boc bottle of the same size?

Bob

The gas is the same quality but its the only size I can get

The V8 Files 28th June 2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robo (Post 75187)

Bob

Bob, I'm going to pick up 2 bottles for me and also I'm coming to you at some point, I can do a pick and deliver if you want :)