Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Any Flat pack suppliers (Talon Alternative) (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13874)

Dave F 12th May 2016 09:30 AM

Any Flat pack suppliers (Talon Alternative)

As the title suggests are there any suppliers of Flatpacks?
I ordered from Phil At Talon over 5 weeks ago but after 2 missed promised deliverys and no contact from him in well over a week I can only assume he's not able to supply. I'm not aware of any other suppliers of Flatpacks but I'm hoping someone knows of some, if not I'm will have to cut my own which is not ideal due to noise and the close prosimity of my neighbours.

vmax1974 12th May 2016 10:10 AM

I don't think there is not since handyandy left the scene maybe start looking for a bandsaw to limit the noise

I really thought handyandy's absence would have been temporary and he would pop in from time to time but it seems that it is permanent

I only live a mile from him and used to deliver shopping to his wife but have not seen hide nor hair of him since his departure

Dave F 12th May 2016 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vmax1974 (Post 103614)
I don't think there is not since handyandy left the scene maybe start looking for a bandsaw to limit the noise

I really thought handyandy's absence would have been temporary and he would pop in from time to time but it seems that it is permanent

I only live a mile from him and used to deliver shopping to his wife but have not seen hide nor hair of him since his departure

Thanks VMax.

flyerncle 12th May 2016 10:34 AM

First class bloke and miss to forum.
His flat packs were first class.

Dave F 12th May 2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyerncle (Post 103616)
First class bloke and miss to forum.
His flat packs were first class.

could really do with him reappearing right about now so if you're out there Andy, show yourself:rolleyes:

RichardH 12th May 2016 02:15 PM

talon will reappear, its well documented that he disapears for periods of time due to health issues

Dave F 12th May 2016 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardH (Post 103618)
talon will reappear, its well documented that he disapears for periods of time due to health issues

I hope he does as my first option would be just to get the flat pack and I like to think I'm an understanding fella but just need to know what's going on.

I'm ready to go, table built, donor stripped, and just pottering reconditioning parts while I wait but really want to get the chassis started.

RichardH 13th May 2016 03:28 PM

i see phil has changed his website closed due to illness for a while.

Dave F 13th May 2016 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardH (Post 103625)
i see phil has changed his website closed due to illness for a while.

Just noticed that. He sent me a tracking number for the chassis so it looks like he has send it out.

Now let’s just all hope he gets himself all sorted mainly as no one should have to put up with what he has but also, as this thread has proven, the service he provides is invaluable to so many.

RichardH 13th May 2016 07:09 PM

sure he will it was about this time last year he shut for a month or so. i have a mate in the same boat as phil and you can predict when its coming.

garyout 14th May 2016 02:10 AM

Bummer wondered why I hadn't had any replies from emails waiting for diff mount.

Hope he gets well soon and gets back to firing on all cylinders

Gary

Dave F 16th May 2016 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardH (Post 103627)
sure he will it was about this time last year he shut for a month or so. i have a mate in the same boat as phil and you can predict when its coming.

My flat pack arrived this morning, I know he won't see it but thanks Phil. Now I can get on with welding and hopefully Phil will be back to firing on all cyclinders quickly.

RichardH 16th May 2016 06:16 PM

lay it all out and check its all there

Dave F 16th May 2016 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardH (Post 103641)

That's tomorrow eves task.

garyout 17th May 2016 10:10 AM

Yea defo I had couple bits from trannie tunnel missing.

Dave are you making your own wishbones ?

Gary

Dave F 17th May 2016 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyout (Post 103647)
Yea defo I had couple bits from trannie tunnel missing.

I'm hopefully going to be able to get them laid out tonight to check, if not defiantly tomorrow, does anyone have a list for the TMXR chassis or is it a matter of looking through the book?

Quote:

Originally Posted by garyout (Post 103647)
Dave are you making your own wishbones ?

As for the wishbones 1 day I decide 100% I'm going to buy them, the next I decide I'm going to make them. The main reason is the £300 price tag from Talon and also I don't know when he is going to be back on it. But then on the otherhand with all the jigs that are needed maybe worth the £300 and the wait.

garyout 17th May 2016 10:52 AM

If I remember right they are marked up as per book other than the modified bits transmission tunnel diff cage but it's quite easy once laid out.

As for wishbones they are worth the wait Richard H will vouch for them

Gary

RichardH 17th May 2016 01:22 PM

yes phils wishbones are good, especially the front ones, the rears are nothing too special but why mess about making the rears? the fronts he does have bends to correct some steering angle and lock issues and to be honest even measuring against mine already made you would never copy them. they also take standard mx5 bottom ball joint and i think a bmw top joint that matches tapers on the hubs

Dave F 17th May 2016 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardH (Post 103650)
yes phils wishbones are good, especially the front ones, the rears are nothing too special but why mess about making the rears? the fronts he does have bends to correct some steering angle and lock issues and to be honest even measuring against mine already made you would never copy them. they also take standard mx5 bottom ball joint and i think a bmw top joint that matches tapers on the hubs

I will probably wait till he comes back online and will order them. Will probably order some other parts at the same time so I have them all.

Dave F 18th May 2016 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardH (Post 103641)

Just come in from checking the Flatpacks and let just say I'm disappointed. There are a more than a couple of parts missing, including all the "U's" this is especially anoying as I can only tack the BR's as I have no upright bits. I am also missing some other bits, quite a few from the trannie tunnel. Also there was no diagrams so Even though I believe I worked out most of the parts not 100% sure. Below is the list of missing parts so if you can take a look and tell me if any of the parts are suppose to be missing.

Missing tubes:
U1, U2, U3, U4, U5, U6, U7, U8
SB2, SB3
TR8
RS10 x2
D12 x2
TT6 x2
TT7 x2
TT8
TT11
SW1, SW2, SW3

Extra Tubes unsure of position:
TT4a
TT5a x2

Tubes that seem to be cut to an incorrect length:
TT10
TT12

I think this is it all but as you can see there is more that alittle missing and was getting more and more pissed off as I found more and more missing.

Dave F 18th May 2016 09:59 PM

I have dropped an email to Phil and credit where's credit due he replied right away and is sending the missing parts out.
Thanks Phil if you watching.

RichardH 18th May 2016 10:39 PM

bummer you are missing the uprights. some of it may not be as bad as you think, mind phils mx5 design has differences around the fron of the tunnel and tr8 has the middle cut out.
i think he sends tt10/tt12 as tmxr something and they go from tr9 diagonally to tr1

sw1,2,3 he didnt send me either not sure its part of the kit, some sell steering bits on there own

have a look on roadster builders under hizzi at my build you will see some pics of the differences, or pm your email i will send some pics over, as already said tr8 area is different behind the engine and the diff area is different, i have some drawings and measurements i got from phil or another guy in caithness who bought a finished chassis from phil.

if the u-rights are going to hold you up BQ keeps 25mm erw on the shelf, not too cheap but is a handy source for small amounts, you will need it

RichardH 18th May 2016 10:42 PM

Dave F 18th May 2016 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardH (Post 103664)

Thanks for that, it makes it alittle clearer now, Phil has said he is sending me the missing parts by next Friday, I will have probably missed something but I will just make them up as I will have the majority. I have all the BR's and the bottom of the Transmission tunnel so I have plenty to be getting on with till the rest arrive.
Useful info about B&Q but they do like to overcharge so going to try Dixon hall first and go from there.

RichardH 18th May 2016 10:58 PM

no problem , watch when you get to the diff area its all different and the two verticals at the bacl of the tunnel are not per book, they are further apart

Dave F 18th May 2016 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardH (Post 103666)
no problem , watch when you get to the diff area its all different and the two verticals at the bacl of the tunnel are not per book, they are further apart

Thanks for that, made a bit for when I get there

vmax1974 18th May 2016 11:25 PM

Let the photos start coming