Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd May 2011, 05:23 PM

Default Gearbox help!

hello all!
hit a brick wall to be honest!
any tips on trialing up to make my diff tunnel as im not using a mt or type 9 so I'm kinda wondering weather i need the mating face of the gearbox actually in the "mouth" of the tunnel or in engine bay?
and i don't have a prop or a diff to line up with!

is this going to be a long vicious process?
any tips advice or whatever will be greatly appreciated!!

michael
Old 3rd May 2011, 06:45 PM

i had to make it whilst on the table with the gearbox in the " that looks about right " position . what gear box are you using ? i made a custom rear diff mount suit where i put the engine made custom mounts for both and gearbox then had the prop shortened to suit it all sits slightly off centre because i didnt want to cut n shut my driveshafts but it fits

wasnt easy and was a bit bum about face as i pretty much built the rolling chassis minus the seat brackets rad brackets and other gubbins now ive stripped it all off knowing it fits to complete the chassis before painting

as for the mouth my gearbox sits slightly into the engine bay to leave the gearstick where i want it #1 and the clearance of the gearbox at the top of the frame #2 and how much i had sticking out the bottom #3 them make sure you left enough room in the engine bay for the engine

:-)

Last edited by monsterob : 3rd May 2011 at 06:51 PM.
Old 3rd May 2011, 06:59 PM

Default thanks!

Thanks Rob! kinda shed some light im using an omega gearbox with a x25xe engine so the engine its self is quite short , the only issue i have is that i don't have the gear change remote with the box! and need to save up for one .

I shall be getting a custom prop made up to suit the omega box and the sierra diff so thats not a problem

its just fuzzing my poor brain on what to do haha!

i may just widen the tunnel to accommodate the whole box "mouth"
but then i may have a small pedal box area !

ahh its burning my brain haha !
Old 3rd May 2011, 08:33 PM

mines an omega box and fits quite nicely

the gear linkage needed to be modified quite a bit to fit in my tunnel but that was the easy bit as a suggestion i put my gearbox into the engine bay then slid it rearwards into the aperture as theres one bit you dont really need to modify then built the tunnel around the gearbox the rear section is in the standard book position its just the diagonals that are moved

the distance from the centre of the gear lever to the mounting holes on the box is 29cm roughly and my bellhousing encroaches into the engine bay 8.5 cm this rough position should get you somewhere near but be mindfull ive made a custom pedal box using the omega masters and the design fitted in but still is tight and you need to be weary of the point the hydraulic hose enters the box itself unless you plan to relocate it ?

personally the easiest way to progress would be build the rear section of the tunnel where its supposed to be ie sierra diff in std position but alter the sections that come off this to meet the other rails ie tt2 tt3 tt9 tt11 tt10 tt12 (guess who just picked up his book ) hope that helps a bit

x25xe !! thats a big old engine to squeeze in you sure it will fit? im having issues with steering colulm being close but imagine it might be tighter on yours !!