Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 3rd October 2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
I still think coil overs are expensive for what they are

I agree, and it's entirely in keeping with this type of project that one should look for less expensive ways of achieving good results, after all, that's a lot of what building your own car is all about.

In general, for a road car, it's usual to have the shocks on their lowest stiffness setting, so shocks designed for a road car would be a perfectly satisfactory starting point (can always uprate later). So, if one used the Triumph shock absorbers shown above, all that one then needs is springs the correct length and poundage. That can be calculated once the weight and a few other factors are known, so that it isn't necessary to have adjustable seats (as said, this is a starting off position). For the build, the shocks/springs could be replaced with lengths of 1X1 drilled for suspension bolts, until the weights are known.

I have a spreadsheet written by suspension guru Mike Capon which I would be happy to upload, but looking at the 'upload' window there doesn't seem to be a way of uploading this excel (I think) file. If anyone else knows how to do it, let me know and I will pass it on, or pm me an email address and I'll send it direct.