Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 6th September 2013, 06:46 AM

Question Dilemmas ?

I have just realised why so many roadsters never get completed. Building the chassis, buying the donor e.t.c are all relatively cheap. But then when you come to the later stages you have to buy coilovers £400+, bodywork £800+, iva £400+. The home straight is the most expensive, and people have to wait long periods of time to gather the money, by which time, interest has gone, we can't justify the spend or our circumstances change. How the bloody hell did they do the original locost for £250 ? Surely this is impossible ?, so to reduce my net spend, I am considering making aluminium panels wherever I can, and having a go at grp. I have bought the book by John Dickens, & I am going to take the plunge ! I hate to have to do this, because I know that the quality will be substandard, but I have to rain in the budget a little. I always wanted to have a show spec roadster, but, I may have to hold back on that one until I can buy my grp at a later date. Don't get me wrong, my estimated build cost is about 2.5k everything in, this is still peanuts for a kit car, but one mans peanuts is another mans gold nugget. It's either reel in the spend & keep the project moving forward, or stick to my build spec, and risk it never getting finished. I can't decide which way to go ?