Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd May 2011, 09:48 PM

Default Bike carb - fuelling?

Still in progress of getting all info on making fuel tank and need to check few things. As I want to use bike carbs do I use a bike fuel pump does it need a fuel filter and regulator or do I just use car pump set up. Also where is best place to position pump, next to tank?
Also, is it best to run fuel lines below prop in tunnel.
cheers
tony
Old 23rd May 2011, 09:56 PM

If your donor pump is from an injection car then it will be no good, get a bike one they,re all pretty much the same, you will not need a regulator but you will need an inline filter. My pump is located on the engine side of the tranny tunnel and it works fine. I have run my fuel line down the transmission tunnel, where else would you run it? Only one line is required for carbs.

Cheers Dan
Old 24th May 2011, 08:25 AM

Bike pumps are perfect for bike carbs - they deliver a large volume of fuel at a low pressure.

I started with a Facet pump and Filter King regulator, but when I turned the pressure setting right down it couldn't deliver the volume. Now I have a Kawasaki pump (with an input filter included!) and it's perfect.
Old 24th May 2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayTM View Post
Still in progress of getting all info on making fuel tank and need to check few things. As I want to use bike carbs do I use a bike fuel pump does it need a fuel filter and regulator or do I just use car pump set up. Also where is best place to position pump, next to tank?
Also, is it best to run fuel lines below prop in tunnel.
cheers
tony
Fuel lines must be fixed firmly in the tranny tunnel and be away from electrics, preferably on the opposite side. Clip them every 6" and well away from any moving parts and protected where they enter and leave the tunnel.

The pump is quite critical for the bike carbs and you should match the pump to the carbs. It's okay to place the pump in the engine bay as it will suck the fuel fine with an inline filter prior to it.

Bike carbs are a cheap way to produce a fast free revving engine and will even pass IVA on pre 95 engines if set up properly. Not so economical but do sound good to.

Andrew

Regards..........AndyH
Old 25th May 2011, 12:04 AM

thanks for info guys.
cheers
tony
Old 25th May 2011, 01:31 AM

When i built a zx9 powered car i made a bracket and bolted the bike fuel pump to the rear of the diff.Had no dramas at all with this and easily accessed.