Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Chassis
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th May 2011, 12:53 PM

Question scaling the chassis

hi, im considering a build and i've found various adaptions of the original chassis design to accommodate different sized engines. but, i was wondering if someone with more knowledge could tell me if it would make sense to simply scale up all the chassis dimensions by a percentage, with bigger/thicker tubing, bigger wheels etc .. in order to fit a bigger engine?

if i understand it correctly, for optimum handling, a serria steering rack needs to be shortened? so with a scaled up chassis this could just be shortened less? BUT i would need to extend prop shaft?/drive shafts? and steering column? anything else?

could i still use all the suspension components suggested in the book? or because they are relatively smaller would this upset the suspension geometry?

many thanks, matt.
Old 25th May 2011, 01:19 PM

Probably better off looking at the McSorley 442,all the hard work has been done and i think you can get bodywork to fit.Here is quite a good link;

http://www.sevenesque.com/plans/
Old 25th May 2011, 09:09 PM

The Rover V8 engine fits the early Locost which is narrower than the haynes so why make anything bigger? Just because it's got a big motor doesn't mean it will be any good. Small revvy motor in a small car will out do some fat lardy thing with more horsepower than you can use.......