Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Running gear
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th March 2011, 05:20 PM

You're correct to some extent the pics on my website do show excessive body roll but these where taken a long time ago and the suspension, ride height and springs have been since setup accordingly, mainly being stiffer springs on the rear which has improved the balance of the car significantly. All cars need to be fine tuned and can only be compared to other track cars, I and others have been very pleased and surprised by the Haynes as a driving experience off and on the track.

Suck it and see may be the answer.......Andrew

Regards..........AndyH
Old 30th March 2011, 05:30 PM

Ok, Ok not my absolute last word on the subject ( Read, so I lied )

TK

Thanks for taking the time to post a comprehesive reply, tis refreshing for someone to illustrate what they mean

Firsly, sorry for taking your post in the wrong context & yes of course I do realise that you made a reply to the OP re: MX5 geometry.

As said I am by no means an expert on steering & susspension geometery, that said, I do understand your illustrations.

Are these based on the Sierras geometry ?

In my simple mind by looking at your illustrations and as you have stated " the reason the car may feel "balanced" is because both ends do the same "

Surely this by its very nature is what you can term as some form of ballance ( The cars handling will remain predictable )

Is this not consitently common with all 7 type cars ?

Ideal for the track ? ( probably not ). Could it be refined further ? ( Probably yes )

From a very quick glance, I can see that some form of anti roll bar would certainly go a long way towards optimum handling !!

I am sure those folk building Roadsters & are fully conversant with the design principals of suspension geometry will alter thier builds to suit their own tastes.

Do we really want to encourage novice engineeers to ring the changes without fully understanding what they are doing !!??

Just to point out

The pictures on Saturns web site are of a Sierra based Roadster .... As far as I know, Andy has not done track testing of the MX5 based Roadster as yet

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 30th March 2011, 05:55 PM

Didn't quite expect a simple question about dimensions to snowball in to that!
And there I was thinking this wouldn't be like other forums...

Anyway I think someone asked me a little about me somewhere in that. Well I'm 23 and drive a mk1 MR2 which is a fun little car. I've become more interested in cars over the last few years and really fancy building something a little different. I was thinking of an every mans caparo T1. But having little mechanical knowledge it will probably be like something on topgear, ambitious but rubbish. So long as I have fun along the way hey?

Thanks for the post regarding saturns build. I'll be sure to check it out.

As for the rest of you, stop bickering on my first thread!
Old 30th March 2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreddaway32518 View Post
Didn't quite expect a simple question about dimensions to snowball in to that!
And there I was thinking this wouldn't be like other forums...

Anyway I think someone asked me a little about me somewhere in that. Well I'm 23 and drive a mk1 MR2 which is a fun little car. I've become more interested in cars over the last few years and really fancy building something a little different. I was thinking of an every mans caparo T1. But having little mechanical knowledge it will probably be like something on topgear, ambitious but rubbish. So long as I have fun along the way hey?

Thanks for the post regarding saturns build. I'll be sure to check it out.

As for the rest of you, stop bickering on my first thread!
Sorry

This thread is not typical of this forum .... Honest

Bye & large this is a happy, friendly place to be.

If I have not done so, please may I welcome you to the forum & enjoy your build

www.roadster-builders.co.uk

Last edited by Bonzo : 30th March 2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 30th March 2011, 07:32 PM

All mreddaway32518 wanted was a little help to try and build himself a small sports car that he could enjoy and be proud of by saying i built that.

If you want to race or use your car for serious track days then you have to modify and set up to your own personal tastes for your style of driving.

How many people race production sports cars without making some alterations to at least the suspension set up ?

Could a full race car be driven in relative comfort and safety on the road without some degree of compromise ?

Welcome and good luck with your build mreddaway32518. May you have many happy hours building and driving your pride and joy.

After your first drive you will have a big grin for hours.
Old 30th March 2011, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

My car is built to book. it self centres fine as for handling since it was setup properly its awesome. there are lots of different cars / sevens i have met on track and go out for runs with and there are very few that can out corner me. i have been out on track with several strikers and riots, indys, la golds, phoeneix's, furys, mnrs all known known to be up there in terms of handling when correctly setup and never had a moment where i thought i was driving something inferior

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/
Old 30th March 2011, 08:02 PM

Lets et a grip here guys. Alot of good 'conversation' but we are essentially home builders of differenent requirements and capabilities.

There is no such thing as a 'one size fits all roadster' but what you will get is a very quick and good handling car should you make the car to the standard in the book. Should you further improve this (as most people do in one way or another) then all the better.

I have seen 2 other roadsters in the flesh. Both of which are different to mine!

Anti roll bars are a good example of a chassis upgrade that is certainly required for serious track use. A Lotus 7 kit car has its limits!

Haynes roadster aint perfect, but what is?