Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th March 2014, 02:06 PM

I think I'll name it Tankenstien!
Old 30th March 2014, 08:58 PM

Got my tethered cap mount installed, my 2012 Honda Civic now has a Mazda MX5 fuel cap!

Started welding on various mounts, this one holds the non return valve in place.

I did weld all sorts of brackets on as I decided to do away with the tank straps but I forgot to take any more pictures.

Didn't get to paint anything this weekend even though the weather was perfect. Just took ages to get the last part of that roll bar cross in place so it didn't look odd. Only remembered to take a pic after I'd put everything away and it's a pretty bad one that makes it look wonky but here it is anyway.

As a treat for the missus on Mothers' Day I got here to hold the roll bar in place on the car while I tacked the mounting plates on.
Old 31st March 2014, 12:51 PM

That's some impressive work, giving me the itch to try making my own tank now...

The fact I can access leak testing equipment and TIG welding through work will probably help me too!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oscarss/sets/
Old 31st March 2014, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
That's some impressive work, giving me the itch to try making my own tank now...

The fact I can access leak testing equipment and TIG welding through work will probably help me too!
Thanks, that will definitely be a big advantage if you plan on having a go.
Old 31st March 2014, 08:30 PM

Better Image of the roll bar all cleaned up.

And my proposed rear stay positions on the car.

Got a quote for powder coating it of £40 but I need to make sure it's nice and clean so it doesn't need media blasting.
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:56 AM

Finished the tank. Paint job is pretty awful, looks like someone poured the paint on and spread it around with a stick but that epoxy mastic paint is fairly difficult to get even when you have all sorts of nooks and crannies to deal with, but it should help seal it up just incase I missed any longterm tiny leaks.

I now have no tank straps, it simply bolts on to the chassis, all the pipe clip brackets are now welded directly to the tank including the drain. I also attached a couple of handles as I intend to take it to a petrol station and brim it and the handles will make it easy to lift it into place on the car.

Left it testing today, inverted with 4 litres of fuel in it. It better not show any leaks when I get home.

Old 2nd April 2014, 01:29 PM

Just realised it was my build threads 3rd birthday on Monday!
Old 2nd April 2014, 07:27 PM

I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Tank doesn't move with the new brackets, absolutely brimmed it at the garage, no leaks and my car still starts. Thank goodness for that, I was beginning to really miss starting it up and having my little tootle arounds. 8 gallon capacity almost on the nose by my reckoning.
Old 4th April 2014, 10:35 AM

Finished by roll bar and supports. Took a while to do but I'm really very happy with it and would quite happily be the crash test dummy that tested it! But let's hope it never needs to be tested.

It's all CDS btw there's a guy called tom (tube bender) iirc on ebay selling the stuff fairly reasonably priced. The 45mm hoop itself cost me £60 and 5 metres of 38mm cost around another £70 I think all delivered foc. I had some crazy quotes from some companies who are just taking the p**s with their prices.

Last edited by CTWV50 : 4th April 2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 4th April 2014, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTWV50 View Post
Finished by roll bar and supports. Took a while to do but I'm really very happy with it and would quite happily be the crash test dummy that tested it! But let's hope it never needs to be tested.

It's all CDS btw there's a guy called tom (tube bender) iirc on ebay selling the stuff fairly reasonably priced. The 45mm hoop itself cost me £60 and 5 metres of 38mm cost around another £70 I think all delivered foc. I had some crazy quotes from some companies who are just taking the p**s with their prices.
The roll bar is looking very good. It looks very caterham with the way it tilts forward. You seem to be cracking on with the build nicely.

Keep posting the photos

David

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67112582@N03/

Saturn MX5 Based Chassis, Limited Slip Diff & 2.4 Quick Rack.

Build cost.... seems to be spending more on tools than car bits at the moment! (they will be handy in the future though).
Car iva'd and passed 15/08/2014. Finished weight 572kg.