Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th February 2011, 07:40 PM

Default Honda Blackbird

Hi, guys,

I may be on the verge of going down the bike route. A friend has offered me a Honda CBR1100XX super blackbird on a R reg with just 8k miles from new for £900 and removal of a few large trees ( will cost me two days work and about £300 labour/ fuel costs).Il probably make a bit back on selling parts from the bike on ebay

Im really keen on using the bike as i have the space to strip it in my garage and it will save me having to buy all ancillaries and wiring/plumbing etc. The question is whether or not the motor will be suitable for the roadster and also how much a reverse motor or geabox is going to cost, oh and also is this a good price for a blackbird.

The main reasons for me now wanting bike power are:
Really like the idea of sequential gearbox,
Cant find a type nine anywhere,
Id like to make more space in the pedal box area,
The sound and,
practicality isnt really an issue as i only want the roadster for sunday morning blasts out/ track days.
Old 14th February 2011, 07:46 PM
fabbyglass

Just do it you won't regret it
Old 14th February 2011, 08:27 PM

i think there is a bit of an issue with clearance to the sprocket on a blackbird motor,if i remember the the clutch slave masks the sprocket for the propshaft adapter....
it can be got round but takes a bit of re-engineering
ah i remember
it definitely can be got round through the fog of alcohol at Stoneleigh
Tilly clearly explained it to me and TJ at the show but at that point the glass tower came tumbling down and now i cant recall how he done it.
he posts on here so you could pm him
or i could get TJ to give him a shout as i think they chat occasionally on facebook
cheers les g
Old 14th February 2011, 08:50 PM

Default Blackbird engined roadster

Nathan have a look at the vid on utube and then decide

All the best

John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s8H4ULqrwA
Old 14th February 2011, 09:06 PM

I remember reading somewhere about certain blackbird engines being problematic with a kit car installation, something to do with gearboxes me thinks, will try and dig out the article and re-post.
The reverse gear thing isn't too difficult, but can be expensive. I'm fancying going the bike route too (after IVA), and am still deciding whether to go for the electric reverse, or proper reverse box. MNR do an excellent reverse box for £499 inc. VAT, but I believe an electric setup can be engineered for very little money indeed. One other thing worth mentioning is with the MNR reverse box you'll need 2 driveshafts to connect the box to the engine and diff. Not sure how much that will knock you back.
I know I won't really need a reverse because mine will be post-IVA, but I just know I'll forget myself one day and end up in a situation where I'll have to push the bugger out of a parking space. Plus it will be very tricky to get in and out of my garage without one.

http://alansroadster.blogspot.com/
Old 14th February 2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.W View Post
Nathan have a look at the vid on utube and then decide

All the best

John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s8H4ULqrwA

HEEEYYYYYYYYYY thats my car teeeeheeee

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT

its an easy fit, once you now how, the clutch slave cylinder is indeed in the way easly remedied i made a fancy prop adapter to get round it but subsequently have just changed the slave cylinder, clutch is now a bit heavy but never mind.

This is ver important you MUST BAFFLE THE SUMP very easy to do i can put you in touch with a chap who makes them for about 30 quid or you can make one yourself its just a peice of thin ally with some strategically placed holes.

the secret to keeping the bird engine alive in a car is good cooling, good radiator and oil cooler.

good light strong bike engine and mine takes some abuse, comes with transponder immobilser, i got 175BHP out of mine by just taking off the airbox and making a new exhaust not even got a power comander on it i just tweek the fuel pressure.

reverse is quite easy too, there are 2 main ways electric starter motor i used a seat ibiza one or a reverse box i have subsequently removed my reverse since i just get out and push because the car is so light.

so to round up........ what are you waiting for...... DO IT

tilly
Old 15th February 2011, 07:17 PM

Thanks for the advice guys,

I had the bike delivered about an hour ago, the noise it makes is awesome! I had to get the old enduro gear on and give it its final ever blast ( down a private road ) before i strip it. Having only ever riden enduro type bikes and motocross the rapidness of the thing was a bit of a shock! If its half as quick in a car ill be very happy

I still cant belive the sound it makes!
Old 15th February 2011, 07:25 PM

Default Blackbird roadster

Nice car Tilly, sounds awsome
Old 15th February 2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shh120m View Post
Thanks for the advice guys,

I had the bike delivered about an hour ago, the noise it makes is awesome! I had to get the old enduro gear on and give it its final ever blast ( down a private road ) before i strip it. Having only ever riden enduro type bikes and motocross the rapidness of the thing was a bit of a shock! If its half as quick in a car ill be very happy

I still cant belive the sound it makes!
Dam fine choice Nathan and Tilly that engine and box sound awesome.....

Regards..........AndyH
Old 16th February 2011, 05:54 PM

cheers andy, only problem is im now spent up for antother month so bodywork order will have to wait a little while longer