Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th May 2012, 12:51 PM

Default Bike Engine Swap

Hi, Guys

Long time since I have posted on the forum, but currently running an old cbr1000f engine which has about 60k on it. It;s now becoming a bit tired and unreliable due to hard life as a bike and harder in my roadster (2 mins in traffic starts overheating, oil escaping everywhere) was looking at getting a newer (97/98 plate..ish) cbr1100xx engine of the internet an dropping that in its place with a couple of engine cradle mods and a new exhaust manifold, hopefully lighter, MORE POWER/torque.

the question is.. could I still use the wiring, ECU, coils etc...?

was thinking of using the carbs from the 1000cc but I guess it would restrict air/fuel flow, any pointers?

grateful of any help

alternitavly was thinking complete change to 2.0 duratec with some tuning upto bout 200 horses
Old 25th May 2012, 01:01 PM

I shouldnt see too much of a problem with using that loom , aslong as it has the same ecu plug and the same amount of sensors, because im guessing youll need to change the ecu too :P . But If i was personally you id go with the duratec
Old 25th May 2012, 03:10 PM

how was you planning to connect the Bike engine to the diff, if you don't mind me asking.

Dean

Being overtaken is a sign of weakness.

South Wales Kit Car Club
www.southwaleskitcarclub.co.uk

WWW.HELPFORHEROES.ORG.UK
XBox Gamer tag: D34NNO
Old 25th May 2012, 06:02 PM

yo yo.....

Ill connect the prop shaft to sproket adaptor flange as it is at the minute, hopefully be the same size spline.

Ye il have to try and find out whether the CDI is the same or not.

I have 2.0 duratec engine in my fiesta and its a monster, but id have to tune it up if one went in my roadster, any cheap but effective modifications?, was considering a small turbo so that I wouldnt have to fiddle with the internals too much.
Old 26th May 2012, 05:12 AM

I recall the cbr1100xx had oil starvation probs in a car when driven hard. I would find out from someone like TTS what engine is flavour of the month and buy one complete with loom etc and fit the whole lot complete as it will save a lot of probs getting it up and running properly.Also parts will be available and reasonably priced to suit.in regards to sprocket adaptors I think there are only 2 different sizes used.(again TTS do these I think). Why not use the sprocket and make your own from it?
Old 26th May 2012, 10:09 AM

or actually mat i suggest a c20let, can pick them up cheapish , better power more stronger and i have a spare r28 gearbox if you'd want to buy it few a few pennies
Old 28th May 2012, 09:52 PM

its best to stick to what the orignal bike had tbh some bikes engines dont like turning sideways for rwd transverse car conversions as the oil moves diffrently inside
blackbirds where a bad option iirc (high power but bad for oil movement)

there are loads of great bike engines out there that are untapped for BEC use
a fzr1000 exup or thunderace 5valve/cyl engine was a great side car chioce back in the day should be cheap now and on carbs but i have no idea if it likes turning sidways in a car oil wise?
my thunderace was good for 168bhp @ the crank with a set of dynojets ,ign advancer and a race can