Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th March 2011, 11:28 PM

Default Pro's And Cons Of A Bike Engine In Your Roadster

i'm still undecided as to what power plant to go for looked at a few engine from the usual pinto's to volvo t5's even looked at using a bmw straight 6...now i'm looking into using a bike engine..........your thoughts guys ??
Old 30th March 2011, 12:16 AM

Talking Bike engine

If you want fear(sorry I mean adrenaline rush) theres nothing like a bike engine----in a bike ,150 mph on two wheels really blows the cobwebs away(I'm told )

Bike engines rely on high revs (sorry -VERY high revs) I think a bike engined car would be hard work-however were here now because we dont want"ordinary"

Regards

Adrian

PS Hope to meet up before too long!
Old 30th March 2011, 12:25 AM

Cons, fragile, drop to bits in no time.

Pro's, best for a track car.

www.mymnrvortx.blogspot.com/
Old 30th March 2011, 12:52 AM

Bike engines are great fun and give a real buzz when you can really go for it,they are well built and reliable and dont fall to bits.Although they are not that nice to drive on motorway runs etc but mainly for a sunday blast around the b roads.
Old 30th March 2011, 07:47 AM

I was in the same situation - including considering BMW 4.4 V8 But I want something that won't ruin my future budget like my last project... (I couldn't afford to drive my beast so I had to sell it and it wasn't "nice experience"). That's why I choose BEC way

For me - bike engines pro's are:
MOT, TAX, insurance etc should be cheaper if displacement is the main factor (like in Poland). Not sure how it works in UK or wherever you are
I think it's easier to fit bike engine then BMW R6/V8() or Volvo T5 or any big lump... (but you have to install electric reverse or something similiar)
I like bikes - and high rev bike sound in my toy car will be sweet addition.

They are con's of course:
Bike engine kit is usually more expensive than car engine (but it depends what car engine you compare to)
You will need specific BEC parts like sprocket adapter, baffle plate, electric reverse etc.
It's harder to IVA/SVA BEC - bike engines aren't "eco-friendly".

ZX9R BEC Haynes Roadster - build cost so far: £1125
My build thread

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." J.W.Goethe
Old 30th March 2011, 10:48 AM

Yes, bike engines can be "fragile" after all they aren't originally designed to haul around 400+kg and yes you will need to overcome the lack of reverse, but there are a lot of companies who have already solved this. Getting the clutch balance right is also something to think about (designed to be operated by hand not a sze 10 boot) fuel consumption is also debatable.

On the plus side you do get an engine that is built to perfection, has it's own 6 speed sequential box, which you can have a padalshift for , massive RPM, There are also gains to be had in handling, as it's lighter weight will lower the CoG, change direction easier etc etc
Old 30th March 2011, 12:31 PM

Speak to AB performance, they'll talk you round to BEC way of thinking.
BEC's are only fragile if installed incorrectly. Uprates springs in the clutch are a must (£25) as well as a rubberised propshaft (not the correct term I know, but can't remember what they're actually called). Cable gearchange also comes recommended. You may need a baffled sump and some engines need either a billet sump (quite pricey) or a dry sump (also quite pricey).
I'm intending installing a smaller pre 1995 bike engine in mine to get through the dreaded IVA (already have an RF600 full bike, so will be using that engine), and then when in "explodes" a week after test will be fitting a newer engine. I have an R1 engine all ready to fit in, but may have to sell it to help fund the rest of my build, then buy another later.

http://alansroadster.blogspot.com/
Old 30th March 2011, 01:23 PM

From my research looking into Bike engines into the Haynes, its a bit of an expense. Your looking around £1500, which doesn't sound a lot, but its a lot more than the free one you get with a donor. With regards oil, its a large problem. A bike engine tilts over when your turn a corner, thus the G force stops much of the oil surging onto the sides of the sump. In a car this doesn't happen and oil starvation can be a real problem. I also believe you need a slight transmission upgrade to ease the engagement of gears and reduce wear on the gearbox. Then you need to tie in an electric reverse. A home made (starter motor and gear) is cheaper as an off the shelf one can cost a few hundred.

Apart from those few issues, its like fitting any other engine. You just use the clocks, loom and ecu from the bike and your laughing. I think Practical Performance Car did an article on fitting bike engines into cars.
Old 30th March 2011, 09:47 PM

Ive built a haynes roadster with a k8 gsxr 1000 bike engine for the road and now wish i had of put a car engine in my build. You'll have a nightmare trying to get a bec through these new iva regs. (DON'T DO IT) stick with a car engine more practical and half the cost.
Old 30th March 2011, 09:56 PM

I had my heart set on a bike engine. Had an early R1 engine lined up. But to be honest, for me the cost does not make it worthwhile. Hence early zetec for me, on bike carbs!

Last edited by leroybrown911 : 30th March 2011 at 10:05 PM.