Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th December 2010, 11:52 AM

Default Longer range fuel tank(s)

While siting on the thinking chair waiting for the penny to drop I was thumbing through mini mag and came across replacement fuel tanks. In the 'real' mini as in Austin the tank sits in the boot in the corner and still leaves room for a pair of spare pants and a tooth brush much like the Roadster. This got me thinking what if you had another two fuel tanks that sat either side of the main tank still leaving a small boot space? They would sit between D13 and the curve of the rear tub. If they where plumbed in low with shut off valves between the tanks, you could run round using just the main tank and when you go touring open up the valves and have another 16+ ltrs to play with. You would need vent pipes between the two outers and the main other wise it will not balance, and when the fuel is low again shut the valves.
Can any body see any potential problems with this idea besides added weight?

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 19th December 2010, 12:15 PM
fabbyglass

Weight the big issue and I reckon the worse thing that folk do is use steel to make the tanks out of, there isn't much if any rear end protection in a 7 so the tank should ideally be made from something that wouldn't spark if clouted...ali with that explosafe foamy stuff in it.
Old 19th December 2010, 12:24 PM

how strong is a fibreglass rear panel with the tank sat right behind it, does it meet euro N cap safty standard 1?

Old 19th December 2010, 12:39 PM
fabbyglass

[quote=Talonmotorsport;50331]how strong is a fibreglass rear panel with the tank sat right behind it, does it meet euro N cap safty standard 1?[/QUOTe

Kit cars are not would I would describe as an "ideal car to crash in" wherever the fuel tank is or whatever the body panels are made from....
Old 19th December 2010, 12:49 PM

I absolutly agree with that so what difference does it make where the tank(s) go, I spoke to some one who was concerned about the lack of a crumple zone on the rear and he decided to buy an MX5 instead. The foam that goes in the tank is that not to stop fuel 'slosh'? Given the size and shape of the fuel tank if it's been made with baffles it should be the strongest fabricated part of the car in theory?

Old 19th December 2010, 05:46 PM

At least one person on here has mounted his tank above the diff on the rear suspension frame. I cant see how you could get much safer than that. The downside is that it raises the centre of gravity.
Old 19th December 2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport View Post
While siting on the thinking chair waiting for the penny to drop I was thumbing through mini mag and came across replacement fuel tanks. In the 'real' mini as in Austin the tank sits in the boot in the corner and still leaves room for a pair of spare pants and a tooth brush much like the Roadster. This got me thinking what if you had another two fuel tanks that sat either side of the main tank still leaving a small boot space? They would sit between D13 and the curve of the rear tub. If they where plumbed in low with shut off valves between the tanks, you could run round using just the main tank and when you go touring open up the valves and have another 16+ ltrs to play with. You would need vent pipes between the two outers and the main other wise it will not balance, and when the fuel is low again shut the valves.
Can any body see any potential problems with this idea besides added weight?
i was wondering the same thing, i was going to put a tank either side and use the middle as a large boot, but then decided against it as i didnt want to try and test mr iva, i was going to use a couple of emptu fire extinguishers that i found in a skip as the tanks to sit either side of the diff, might still do it after the test tho
Old 19th December 2010, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

funny you should mention that talon as it is exactly what i am doing. im having one side as a reserve tank and the other as a my swirl pot

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/
Old 25th December 2010, 10:32 PM

why not jus make a larger tank making it longer across the with of the car?
you should be able to get a good extera 65% volume easy
Old 25th December 2010, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

i spoke to chris about removing the 19mm supports that go down to the back of the tub to get a bigger tank in he advised that they are mega critical to the strength of the diff and suspension box at the back and it would be very unwise to remove them. he said he would look at a solution if i really wanted to remove them but im not too bothered as i need a swirl pot anyway.

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/