Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th August 2011, 02:22 PM

Default First Purchase...

...other than the bible obviously!

Its a Clarke 151EN Turbo, capable of welding between 30 and 150amps, was a little bit over what I wanted to pay for a welder, but to be honest couldn't grumble at the price.

Now all I need to do is save up for the chassis kit, oh, and learn to weld!
Where would one find scrap steel?
Old 16th August 2011, 02:39 PM

your off and running now!!!

everyone on here seems to stumble into troves of scrap steel/aluminium. I on the other hand ended up buying some to practice on. If your in manchester this isnt a million miles away, i collected a box from there

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bargain-Bu...item4aadaad939

Cheers Will
Old 16th August 2011, 02:53 PM

Nice link to the steel, cheers Will!

Couple of months before I'm off and running I'm afraid!!
Still need to buy all the bits and bobs to convert it to gas, get a decent welding helmet, overalls, gloves etc, but I feel like I have now committed to building the roadster!

Cheers

Chris
Old 16th August 2011, 04:10 PM

It's definately worth phoning round a few steel stockholders near you. I found one that was 1/2 the price of ebay and online places like metal4u and parkers. I got all of my box section and a big 8x4ft sheet of 3mm plate for £110
Old 16th August 2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainbug007 View Post
It's definately worth phoning round a few steel stockholders near you. I found one that was 1/2 the price of ebay and online places like metal4u and parkers. I got all of my box section and a big 8x4ft sheet of 3mm plate for £110
Well I'll be getting my Chassis kit from Saturn (MX-5 baby yeah!!) so I only need a few pieces of scrap to practise on.

Just having a look at wood for my build table on B&Q's website and pondering whether I'll manage to fit the required sheet size in my little punto, methinks not somehow!
Old 16th August 2011, 04:29 PM

nice one Chris

I have the same mig

If you can , get yourself enrolled on a welding course, most technical colleges offer these courses, great for learning the basics and helping you become confident with the welding equipment etc.

if you were closer I have loads of scrap off cuts you could have, in fact i,d be chuffed if someone would take it away

Best wishes for your upcoming build.

cheersAndy
Old 16th August 2011, 04:41 PM

Cheers Andy!

I've had a look for welding courses and there doesn't appear to be anything local to me unfortunately, the closest was a good hour away which is not really ideal after a hard days work.
I do however have the Haynes 'Welding' book which has been read several times cover to cover and have also been scouring the mig-welders.co.uk forum for useful advice of which there is loads.

I guess I'm just going to have to put in plenty of practise till I get the hang of it.
Old 16th August 2011, 04:53 PM

Our very own Ash G did an article in the complete kit car mag a while ago giving a great intro to welding , very helpful as it focuses on the type of welding you,ll be doing ...thickness of steel etc / making the same car etc .

I,m sure there,s a link on this forum somewhere to the article...if not, I,m sure Ash won,t mind me saying " send Ash a PM " ...he,ll point you in the right direction.

If you are up this way at anytime ( visiting saturn maybe ) I,ll give you as much scrap tubing as you can carry

I,m sure all would agree...practise practise and do some more practise & you,ll soon get the "feel" ( & sound ) of when your welding is getting good

cheers
andy
Old 16th August 2011, 05:05 PM

Nice one Andy, I'll try and find it.
As a suppliment to the bible I also bought the 'How to build a Haynes Roadster' book which is I believe written by AshG, very informative and gives an insight into the kinds of problems you may come across that aren't covered by the book, (although I'm not planning on building a lean-to!).

If the welding guide is written half as well it should be very helpful.
Old 16th August 2011, 05:19 PM

Good luck xenon im the same as yourself and just starting out.

what is the other book you have bought as i cant seem to see anything if you could point m in the right direction lol.