Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th May 2011, 10:00 PM

Default fuel Tank

hi guys, looking for info on making own tank from steel, what thickness is used and as I will be using zetec with bike carbs do I build a swirl pot into it? do I still need a return pipe? what sender unit have people been using and should there be a vent pipe on it?
hope someone can help with this.
cheers
tony
Old 6th May 2011, 04:45 AM

I would think 1-1.5mm would be sufficient.Either build in a swirl pot or use a separate one,its a good idea i think especially if you want to do track days.I would put a return in as it can always be blanked off.Vent pipe also required.
The sender will need to be compatible in resistance to the fuel gauge you use so you will need to check.
Old 6th May 2011, 08:11 AM

You don't need to fit a swirl pot if you have carbs - the float bowl of the carb itself fulfills the same function. Tanks for racing usually have baffles fitted though to avoid fuel starvation on long curves. All tans need some sort of venting so that you don't build up a vacuum and stop the fuel flow. My Westfield tank has a one way valve with a breather pipe exiting out of the bottom of the car. Production cars seem to have a pipe that comes back up to the filler.
Enoch
Old 6th May 2011, 08:53 PM

Cheers guys,
tony
Old 7th May 2011, 07:53 AM

Just my thoughts but if building a tank I would have a built in swirl pot in the bottom with a fuel take off, a fuel return to the top and a separate tank breather plus baffled, that way any upgrade at any time in the future will be catered for.
Old 7th May 2011, 09:46 AM

Build a swirl pot into the bottom of the tank, this will will help with the gravity feed to bike fuel pump, and as above, fit return and breathers. I would also advice running a return pipe up to the engine bay and blanking off. This will save a load of hassle later when you upgrade to injection.

I thank you,
Steve

www.mymnrvortx.blogspot.com/
Old 7th May 2011, 01:27 PM

what they all said

im currently gatering bits for mine im using the internal mounted pump from the donor as its more than enough for the future engine i plan to fit.it has a built in swirl pot that the return pipe feeds to and the sender packed on the sides.

the one way valves are avail on ebay for a couple of quid.
i am going to use 2mm steel for mine and was thinking of stone chipping it afterwards to protect it.
Old 7th May 2011, 07:58 PM

Question swirl pots

might be a really dim question but what is one, how do they work and what do they do? ? ? building my fuel tank shortly and hadn't considered putting one in, worried now will i need one with a 1.8 pinto engine

Just keep going we will get there in the end.
Old 7th May 2011, 08:38 PM

A swirl pot is a small extension to the bottom of the tank that the outlet is taken from, it stops fuel starvation on fast corners with low fuel with injection .

I fitted one to mine so it was there ready for any upgrade.

Gus
Old 8th May 2011, 04:31 AM

I have just added a swirl pot to my existing setup as the non baffled tank causes fuel starvation as I exit roundabouts.
Swirl pot, 2 x pumps, fuel filter, loads of pipe clips, pipe joiners, 2 x tank breathers, 1 for the swirl pot, 1 x for the tank which needed a hose take off adaptor in the fuel filler hose because the original tank breather pipe was now needed for the swirl pot fuel return.
All in all there is abot £140 in bits just to add a swirl pot, having one built in early in the build can save you a lot of money and hassle