Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st July 2011, 12:58 PM

Default Finally staring a new build!!

After many years of wanting to build a 'locost' or Haynes roadster (ive got both the Haynes books) I finally have been given the opportunity to start.

I now live in a house with a garage, which is a good start as it at least gives me somewhere dry to carry out the build and secondly, my father has decided to get rid of his 1989 Import MX5 due to a number of things that are going to make it fail the MOT.

The agreement we have is that I can have the bits i need as long as i get him some money for the bits I dont need.

So, I just thought I would say hi on here, I'll start off a proper build thread once I begin with the MX5 destruction process, in the meantime I will carry on using the forums for the great advice that appears to be on here form other builders who have built an MX5 based Roadster.
Old 21st July 2011, 01:08 PM

Hello and welcome D4, you are in the right place at the right time with regards to using a mx5 as there are plenty of peeps on here using them as well keep us posted as to how you get on.
Old 21st July 2011, 01:09 PM

Blimey, another MX5 builder, there seems to be a new one almost every day at the moment
Nice one on the free donor. You should get plenty of cash back for the bits you don't use, ebay and mx5nutz.com are your friend.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the build
Old 21st July 2011, 01:28 PM

I'm another new builder, also using an MX-5. In my naivety I thought an MX-5 might be an uncommon donor.

Eagerly looking forward to the launch of the Vodou products!

Will you be using the Vodou autokits desgin, or making your own way?
Old 21st July 2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisponter View Post
I'm another new builder, also using an MX-5. In my naivety I thought an MX-5 might be an uncommon donor.

Eagerly looking forward to the launch of the Vodou products!

Will you be using the Vodou autokits desgin, or making your own way?
Welcome to you too Chris!

If you had started 6 months ago, it would have been an uncommon donor!

I'm using Saturn's MX5 design, rather than Voodoo's.

Last edited by skov : 21st July 2011 at 01:46 PM.
Old 21st July 2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skov View Post
Blimey, another MX5 builder, there seems to be a new one almost every day at the moment
Nice one on the free donor. You should get plenty of cash back for the bits you don't use, ebay and mx5nutz.com are your friend.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with the build
need to read his post again extra dosh going to pops still a bargain mind
Old 21st July 2011, 02:46 PM

ANOTHER TWO!?! Welcome to the forum, it's all happening now, checkout the mx-5 donor thread, these cars are brilliant donors for this sort of build. I'm going with Saturn's chassis which is nearly complete-ish, but I'll be trying to use as much of the donor as possible to keep costs down.
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the messages, looks like there is definetly going to be a lot of information available from other people carrying out this upgrade.

I do wish I hadnt started looking at the MX5Nutz forum though as im now contemplating putting an Eaton M45 SC onto the engine once the project is finished, if i can hold off that long!

I'm not entirely sure which route im going to head down at the moment with regards to the chassis designs but am erring towards getting a flatpack kit from HandyAndy depending on the cost.

I have got my first child on its way so this is probably going to be a long, slow and as cheap as possible build, in reality i know the cheap part is going to be very difficult to stick to.

Having had 2 5's myself in the past I'm quite happy with the choice of the donor, I just hope that the finished Roadster is as much fun!
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:39 PM

Handyandy is doing his chassis kit for the mx5 for 230 quid he told me the other week
Old 22nd July 2011, 01:21 PM

Worth every penny!
You can't go wrong with HandyAndy, he gave me loads of support/advice early on in the build when I needed it, and sent me several extra parts free of charge.
Oh, and I didn't even buy my kit from him (I've got one of his kits, but I bought it second-hand)

Last edited by skov : 22nd July 2011 at 05:01 PM.