Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Running gear (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Suspension Setup (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13069)

SeriesLandy 18th December 2013 05:58 PM

Cheers for the replys.
Sorry I missed your post phill was busy at work.
I've measured the bones and they are the original book spec (10mm too short) so I'm a little pissed off to put it mildly.

here is a pic of my adjuster. It's got a 25mm collar on it, no wonder I can't get the adjustment on it.

What are the implications of having the short bones? The car drives but will it be wearing the driveshafts or anything?

Talonmotorsport 18th December 2013 06:34 PM

Before you do any thing else I'd suggest removing the half/lock nuts and setting the adjusters as far in as they will go, pull the CV gaitors back and grab the half shafts and see if you can move it between the the two CV joints at all. If there is movement your in luck if not maybe Twinturbo/Robin might be able to explain/confirm that with the CV joints constantly compressed with very little 'float' it could lead to problems later.
If you need new lower wishbones and adjusters you know where to find me I have 2 pairs of both currently in stock.

alga 18th December 2013 08:43 PM

I'm sure someone reported an IVA fail point over lack of locknuts on the rear adjusters...

P.S. I bough 27 and 29 mm spanners for the front and rear camber adjuster locknuts so I don't scuff the nuts with a pipe wrench each time...

twinturbo 18th December 2013 08:46 PM

The shafts are fairly well compressed even on +10mm bones at the horizontal for the tripode shafts. The overall deflection from the horizontal is not massive though.

Are these tripode or lorobo shafts?

If lorobo you could machine 5mm of each joint end face with no decernable problems.

The other alternative that has been used before with the short bones is to move or modify the inner pivots to move them +10mm outwards

TT

SeriesLandy 18th December 2013 09:10 PM

There is about 15-20mm movements when I try and slide the half shafts between the upright and diff. Hopefully that will be enough not to cause any further damage.
I cut the adjusters down and rewelded them and with them fully wound in (with half nuts) gives me the 0.5-1deg neg camber I was after.

I'm pretty sure I saw someone fail iva with no half nuts and my station is REALLY picky (look at corrado v6's fails on LB)

SeriesLandy 18th December 2013 09:21 PM

They are push in shafts, if I moved the brackets out by 10mm and down a little bit and added a load of bracing to them, would that work?

flyerncle 19th December 2013 12:51 PM

Cut more thread on the bolt would possibly be an alternative as there is a lot of wasted space on the end that would screw in further,alternative make two new ones fully threaded.