Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Full cage (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4902)

3GE Components 1st September 2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewistrott (Post 44136)
hi i have a mk indy could you confirm if this cage would fit? also the car is on the road so could the cage kit be fitted or is it only a option for cars not yet fully built,many thanks
lewis

Hi Lewis,

It's unlikely, as the Roadset is wider than the MK. Just to check though, if you measure across the body at it's widest point the Roadster is 1118mm.

Kind regards

John

Tatey 1st September 2010 12:57 PM

Flyerncle that sounds a lot more effort than doing 2 fishmouths for the rear uprights, you can use a fishmouth calculator which allows you to print off the profile and stick it to the tube which you then cut around. Or you could use a hole saw and a jig and have a perfect cut every time.

CTWV50 10th June 2011 12:13 PM

Just been quoted £700 + vat + delivery by customcages.co.uk who would only make it in T45 tube!! Fook me!:eek: I'll take two!! :cool:

Any companies out there wanting to take this on a bit cheaper?

MarkB 10th June 2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 59894)
Just been quoted £700 + vat + delivery by customcages.co.uk who would only make it in T45 tube!! Fook me!:eek: I'll take two!! :cool:

Any companies out there wanting to take this on a bit cheaper?

Argh but the custom cages ones are fully compliant for racing, that's what they do for a living for all sorts of cars from Aston's to Mini's as well as kit cars. It makes a huge difference to how it works in the event you get all arse about face and end up the wrong way round. And T45 isn't exactly cheap, also needs to be tig welded and Custom Cage's have some damn fine tig welding bods..:)

CTWV50 10th June 2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkB (Post 59895)
Argh but the custom cages ones are fully compliant for racing, that's what they do for a living for all sorts of cars from Aston's to Mini's as well as kit cars. It makes a huge difference to how it works in the event you get all arse about face and end up the wrong way round. And T45 isn't exactly cheap, also needs to be tig welded and Custom Cage's have some damn fine tig welding bods..:)

True but they do a much more involved cage for a westfield that is £450 delivered! Feels like they just don't want the work to be honest! It's like £900 all in! Oh and it was unwelded!

Talonmotorsport 10th June 2011 01:08 PM

I have 2-3 different designs that I have in the pipe line, when the pipe stops getting longer every time a job gets crossed of the list I'll have time to play with some tube.
design 1: internal bolt in cage that can be fitted to finished cars with GRP side panels.
design 2: external bolt on cage with side impact bars that requires drilling through the side panels for cars with ali sides.
Also have a few different ideas for top bars including back to back C's. Material will most likly be 40 - 42mm by 2-2.5mm wall in ERW or CDS depending on what you want to spend.

MarkB 10th June 2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 59897)
True but they do a much more involved cage for a westfield that is £450 delivered! Feels like they just don't want the work to be honest! It's like £900 all in!

ummm that's a big difference but then each car has to have a certificate to conform so maybe they charging YOU for that then anyone else gets the better deal like the ones for the Westy.
There are 1000's of Westies out there so maybe they think, bigger market for them.

CTWV50 10th June 2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport (Post 59898)
I have 2-3 different designs that I have in the pipe line, when the pipe stops getting longer every time a job gets crossed of the list I'll have time to play with some tube.
design 1: internal bolt in cage that can be fitted to finished cars with GRP side panels.
design 2: external bolt on cage with side impact bars that requires drilling through the side panels for cars with ali sides.
Also have a few different ideas for top bars including back to back C's. Material will most likly be 40 - 42mm by 2-2.5mm wall in ERW or CDS depending on what you want to spend.

Look forward to what you come up with. Sent the drawing to another company that just do CNC tube bending work to see what the come back with. They don't do roll cages! Asked for a quote in T45, CDS, and ERW.

wylliezx9r 10th June 2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 59900)
Look forward to what you come up with. Sent the drawing to another company that just do CNC tube bending work to see what the come back with. They don't do roll cages! Asked for a quote in T45, CDS, and ERW.

I would also be very interested, paricularly the internal one that do sent require cutting body panels.

mikemph 10th June 2011 03:26 PM

Just had a full cage with side impact protection made 50mm 2mm wall.

Sorry pics are not great. Rear stays are not in pics.