Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Engine/transmission (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Z20LET into a Haynes Roadster (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=13110)

Ben_Copeland 5th January 2014 10:56 AM

It's already pretty wide :D

flyerncle 5th January 2014 06:42 PM

I got the feeling Caterham were attempting to spread more of the car to hold the road .:eek:

Ben_Copeland 5th January 2014 06:44 PM

Caterhams are pretty narrow so maybe

Ben_Copeland 20th January 2014 12:37 PM

Another Update

Sorry about no activity recently, my parts came in dibs and drabs so I didn't bother taking a picture. Still missing some bits which is annoying.

Anyway, I had a go at making an exhaust for the car. Tacked it all together and hopefully I can get it tig up later this week.

I also had to rejig the coolant lines off the back of the water pump because I found another pipe off the head, which is annoying as it means I cant fill it up with water till I get another t-piece.

That's it for now, i'll hopefully have all the bits by the weekend (except the extra t piece) and I can finish most of the pipework :D

loony 21st January 2014 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben_Copeland (Post 95476)
Anyway, I had a go at making an exhaust for the car. Tacked it all together and hopefully I can get it tig up later this week.

Did you tack it with MIG and stainless or just regular MAG ?

I asking because I'm still wondering how to make my exhaust. Last time (turbocharging BMW) I tacked exhaust with SS electrode and stick welder and than had it TIG welded by professionals...

Ben_Copeland 21st January 2014 08:43 AM

Just normal mig mate but I had to turn it down to stop it blowing holes

Taking it to a mate with a tig later in the week.

deezee 22nd January 2014 08:55 AM

Really impressed with this engine swap. Obviously know your way around this engine and it makes for a good read, seeing all the tweaks and changes (cosmetic and mechanical) to make it suitable for a kit car. AshG has a Saab turbo engine in his, so I expect the car goes just fine with a turbo in them. I'll be looking forward to seeing this run on the road.

Ben_Copeland 27th January 2014 01:57 PM

Got my mate to tig up the exhaust last week, so fitted it this weekend. Fitted perfect first time, right slap bang centre of the cut out in the side panel too. Really pleased how its turned out!

I'm also struggling to find a place for my airfilter, where am I going to get fresh air from ?

K4KEV 27th January 2014 02:33 PM

Hi Ben ....I know this seems obvious, but I will mention it anyway, you are going to need to fit some kind of "rolled" tip on the exhaust outlet for iva
good progress by the way, it's that time of year when you feel like getting stuck in again.

Ben_Copeland 27th January 2014 02:39 PM

No mate, its already road registered :D