Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Full cage (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4902)

monsterob 10th June 2011 04:03 PM

that does look rather cool can i ask how much it cost ?

mikemph 10th June 2011 04:11 PM

£370... The guy said he would probably charge more next time... Maybe do a deal if he was doing a few of them though.

It's CDS tube... And I am pretty sure it is upto FIA spec.

flyerncle 10th June 2011 09:47 PM

Adrian is right,roll hoop with rear stays and diagonal of apropriate height will be sufficient for competition as per the racer I have built in conjunction with Saturn and there are pics on the website.

mikemph 10th June 2011 11:46 PM

Sorry I meant the MSA blue book standard.

The way I read the standards is you are only permitted one bend the lower vertical tube... Then it can follow the windscreen pillar. This is what I have in effect (1 bend backwards then a little further up the tube 1 bend inwards to make windscreen hoop) Is this correct?

I was toying with cutting lower legs off so there would only be one bend anyway.

The diagonal needs a little fettling to make it fit better and within the 100mm of the backstays etc.

The material is upto spec... And I have a certificate of conformity for the material used.

flyerncle 11th June 2011 08:01 AM

Edit : Roll hoop of the correct height fitted with diagonal and cross brace to fit the seat belt mounts,the whole car went through without any remarks as to anything needing looked at for safety.

MarkB 11th June 2011 08:56 AM

I'm pretty sure the Kit Car series and the Locost series require full cages these days. Sprinting and hillclimbing call for MSA spec roll bar and rear stays and also sometimes a forward facing brace tube that tends to run down into the passenger footwell.

Bent tubes will always want to bend that's why the powers that be don't like them on upright legs of a roll bar. Saying a tube can be bent to follow the door pillar etc is fine if fitted in a saloon car like a Mini etc but a 7 doesn't have doors..:).

If I was to race a 7 I would want a full cage with side impact bars as I have seen what happens when it goes wrong. And putting Kit Cars which are 99% clad in grp in amongst steel bodied cars is dangerous in my opinion.

Cages made from T45 are lighter by the way,the spec of the material allows thinner walled tube to be used.....it's added goodness in my book of goodness adding .

flyerncle 12th June 2011 08:20 PM

It went through scrutineering at Cadwell no problem,although I personally agree it needs and will get a full cage soon with side impact bars.

Ricky 13th June 2011 03:10 PM

Full cage

Hi everyone just wanted to ask a question I was given the drawings to the full roll cage and was thinking that cage was msa approved but I red on this thread that its not now would anyone have drawings of a full roll cage that is msa approved and that someone could perhaps share it with me please or what advise could I get regarding the drawings I already have.

Thanks

flyerncle 13th June 2011 07:06 PM

MSA regs in the blue book will give you some idea of whats needed Ricky.

Ricky 13th June 2011 08:28 PM

Full cage

Thanks guys for the info and I understand what you guys are saying but ill have to see what msa south africa requires so ill have to see what I can do but thanks