Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Running gear (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Steering Column Extension (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=2751)

chriseyj 16th September 2009 08:53 PM

Steering Column Extension

Hi the book says to use thick walled tube to extended the lower sierra steering link. I was just wondering if anyone had any sugestions for the diameter and guage tube they used. Is 3mm sufficient?
Cheers

HandyAndy 16th September 2009 08:59 PM

if i remember correctly, the tube i used was 25mm diameter & 3mm walled,

andy

chriseyj 16th September 2009 09:42 PM

Thanks Andy, I meant to measure the lower link earlier and find its diameter but the sun went down. If I ever build anything again I'll wait till I have a garage, will try not to admit that to the wife.
3mm wall is what I was guessing at.
Thanks

Trophy Blue 16th September 2009 09:55 PM

I used 19mm 1.6mm wall - still fine 10k later. There is very little load on the column, only as strong as the tyre grip on the road.

londonsean69 16th September 2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trophy Blue (Post 21757)
I used 19mm 1.6mm wall - still fine 10k later. There is very little load on the column, only as strong as the tyre grip on the road.

That seems scarily thin to me, especially as it is taking a torsional load.

Sean

RAYLEE29 17th September 2009 03:37 PM

Personally i would say that 19mm x 1.6mm was a bit on the trust in god side of things especially when the item you are extending is around the 16mm dia solid
Ray:)

squbti 17th September 2009 06:57 PM

hmmm, isnt that part of the steering rod suppose to be colapsible? mine is going to(has to according to the law here in Sweden).
cheers

HandyAndy 17th September 2009 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squbti (Post 21784)
hmmm, isnt that part of the steering rod suppose to be colapsible? mine is going to(has to according to the law here in Sweden).
cheers

the collapsible part is in the upper section of the column between CP16 & the steering wheel, & also you have the coupling at the rack end & most folk have a coupling fitted just below CP16 so this all ensures that the steering column would deform in the event of a head on impact.
the extension part is purely just that "an extension".
not sure of the rules in Sweden tho :o :)

andy

Land Locked 17th September 2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAYLEE29 (Post 21770)
Personally i would say that 19mm x 1.6mm was a bit on the trust in god side of things especially when the item you are extending is around the 16mm dia solid

What's the wall thickness of the average propshaft? From my long ago college days a thin wall tube under torsional load is not much weaker than a solid bar of the same material and outer diameter. If I recall correctly the OD is of greater importance than the wall thickness.

That said I am a firm believer in Victorian engineering and would probably use the thickest wall I could find!

RAYLEE29 18th September 2009 04:45 PM

Im using a bit of 25mm od 3mm wall seamless for mine
but some people use 16 guage erw for front wishbones!
so its personal choice at the end of the day
stronger is safer
even formula 1 guys get it wrong sometimes (No names I dont want to get sued) but we all know