Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Full cage (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4902)

3GE Components 29th August 2010 05:12 PM

Full cage

Hi Guys,

I don't know how many of you would be interested in a full cage to fit the Roadster?

The design is by the forum's own David Dew, and can be seen in this thread http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=4827 the kit of parts will include all the tubes, which are cnc mandrell bent, all the plates to mount to the chassis, the seat belt bosses and the plates for feet of the cage. The rear stays will be left long so you can fit them to your chassis.

The tubes are from 50.8mm ERW with a wall thickness of 3.2mm, as per David's plans. This is not an MSA compliant cage, as the front bar has a double bend in it, so is for road use only. If you plan to use your Roadster for sprints etc please contact us as we are developing one for this.

Cost will be £350, this is based on a batch of 10, for a complete kit. Delivery would be £10.

If you are interested can you list your name below, if i get 8 people then I'll get the tubes run.

Kind regards

John

Tatey 29th August 2010 05:54 PM

Hi John,

I would be very interested in a roll cage, however after doing some research I am looking to get a full cage with side impact protection, as well as a front bar which has 1 bend in it to ensure it is msa compliant and that instead of the front cage intruding on cockpit, it instead fixes to the scuttle area, meaning there is more leg room.

I will be designing this cage myself (using pro engineer and pro mechanica for finite element analysis) so once it's done I'll happily send across the drawings of it for you, i'm hoping to have it done by the end of sept/mid oct, if others are interested.

mr henderson 29th August 2010 07:06 PM

Will the tubes have the birds' mouths cut?

3GE Components 29th August 2010 07:20 PM

Hi Mr H,

yes, the only part unfinished will be the ends of the back stays, this is because of the difference between the fibreglass and ally tub back ends.

kind regards

John

lewistrott 31st August 2010 10:46 AM

hi i have a mk indy could you confirm if this cage would fit? also the car is on the road so could the cage kit be fitted or is it only a option for cars not yet fully built,many thanks
lewis

flyerncle 31st August 2010 07:52 PM

Talking of roll bars does anyone know if removeable back stays are IVA'ble.

mark 31st August 2010 08:22 PM

Mine were bolted at the chassis end and went through ok, they were an m14 thread though

If you mean completely removeable, as in from the roll bar and chassis im not sure, i know its not a requirement to have a roll bar for iva but they get alot of attention if your harnesses are mounted to them.

flyerncle 31st August 2010 08:28 PM

Hi Mark,what I meant was fully removeable ie bracket and tube and bolted through the tube and bracket welded to roll bar and bracket on rear tub panel GRP bars.

Make sense ?

spud69 31st August 2010 09:36 PM

Mine is as you described Paul, as long as the fixings are strong enough to transfer the load of the harness brackets you should be fine.

BicMacs where Cack on Saturday......:o

AndyH

flyerncle 31st August 2010 10:03 PM

Yes I mean completely removeable as in using shocker brackets welded to roll bar and grp tub mounting at rear along with suitable re-inforcing at the chassis end and a crush tube or the like welded across some 33.7 tube for the rear stays.

What do you reckon ?

Basically because I cant be bothered to fart about making the fishmouths to the tube ends,and also I have used 14mm bolts and will probably use cap screws in the end.

3GE Components 1st September 2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewistrott (Post 44136)
hi i have a mk indy could you confirm if this cage would fit? also the car is on the road so could the cage kit be fitted or is it only a option for cars not yet fully built,many thanks
lewis

Hi Lewis,

It's unlikely, as the Roadset is wider than the MK. Just to check though, if you measure across the body at it's widest point the Roadster is 1118mm.

Kind regards

John

Tatey 1st September 2010 12:57 PM

Flyerncle that sounds a lot more effort than doing 2 fishmouths for the rear uprights, you can use a fishmouth calculator which allows you to print off the profile and stick it to the tube which you then cut around. Or you could use a hole saw and a jig and have a perfect cut every time.

CTWV50 10th June 2011 12:13 PM

Just been quoted £700 + vat + delivery by customcages.co.uk who would only make it in T45 tube!! Fook me!:eek: I'll take two!! :cool:

Any companies out there wanting to take this on a bit cheaper?

MarkB 10th June 2011 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 59894)
Just been quoted £700 + vat + delivery by customcages.co.uk who would only make it in T45 tube!! Fook me!:eek: I'll take two!! :cool:

Any companies out there wanting to take this on a bit cheaper?

Argh but the custom cages ones are fully compliant for racing, that's what they do for a living for all sorts of cars from Aston's to Mini's as well as kit cars. It makes a huge difference to how it works in the event you get all arse about face and end up the wrong way round. And T45 isn't exactly cheap, also needs to be tig welded and Custom Cage's have some damn fine tig welding bods..:)

CTWV50 10th June 2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkB (Post 59895)
Argh but the custom cages ones are fully compliant for racing, that's what they do for a living for all sorts of cars from Aston's to Mini's as well as kit cars. It makes a huge difference to how it works in the event you get all arse about face and end up the wrong way round. And T45 isn't exactly cheap, also needs to be tig welded and Custom Cage's have some damn fine tig welding bods..:)

True but they do a much more involved cage for a westfield that is £450 delivered! Feels like they just don't want the work to be honest! It's like £900 all in! Oh and it was unwelded!

Talonmotorsport 10th June 2011 01:08 PM

I have 2-3 different designs that I have in the pipe line, when the pipe stops getting longer every time a job gets crossed of the list I'll have time to play with some tube.
design 1: internal bolt in cage that can be fitted to finished cars with GRP side panels.
design 2: external bolt on cage with side impact bars that requires drilling through the side panels for cars with ali sides.
Also have a few different ideas for top bars including back to back C's. Material will most likly be 40 - 42mm by 2-2.5mm wall in ERW or CDS depending on what you want to spend.

MarkB 10th June 2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 59897)
True but they do a much more involved cage for a westfield that is £450 delivered! Feels like they just don't want the work to be honest! It's like £900 all in!

ummm that's a big difference but then each car has to have a certificate to conform so maybe they charging YOU for that then anyone else gets the better deal like the ones for the Westy.
There are 1000's of Westies out there so maybe they think, bigger market for them.

CTWV50 10th June 2011 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport (Post 59898)
I have 2-3 different designs that I have in the pipe line, when the pipe stops getting longer every time a job gets crossed of the list I'll have time to play with some tube.
design 1: internal bolt in cage that can be fitted to finished cars with GRP side panels.
design 2: external bolt on cage with side impact bars that requires drilling through the side panels for cars with ali sides.
Also have a few different ideas for top bars including back to back C's. Material will most likly be 40 - 42mm by 2-2.5mm wall in ERW or CDS depending on what you want to spend.

Look forward to what you come up with. Sent the drawing to another company that just do CNC tube bending work to see what the come back with. They don't do roll cages! Asked for a quote in T45, CDS, and ERW.

wylliezx9r 10th June 2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 59900)
Look forward to what you come up with. Sent the drawing to another company that just do CNC tube bending work to see what the come back with. They don't do roll cages! Asked for a quote in T45, CDS, and ERW.

I would also be very interested, paricularly the internal one that do sent require cutting body panels.

mikemph 10th June 2011 03:26 PM

Just had a full cage with side impact protection made 50mm 2mm wall.

Sorry pics are not great. Rear stays are not in pics.

monsterob 10th June 2011 04:03 PM

that does look rather cool can i ask how much it cost ?

mikemph 10th June 2011 04:11 PM

£370... The guy said he would probably charge more next time... Maybe do a deal if he was doing a few of them though.

It's CDS tube... And I am pretty sure it is upto FIA spec.

flyerncle 10th June 2011 09:47 PM

Adrian is right,roll hoop with rear stays and diagonal of apropriate height will be sufficient for competition as per the racer I have built in conjunction with Saturn and there are pics on the website.

mikemph 10th June 2011 11:46 PM

Sorry I meant the MSA blue book standard.

The way I read the standards is you are only permitted one bend the lower vertical tube... Then it can follow the windscreen pillar. This is what I have in effect (1 bend backwards then a little further up the tube 1 bend inwards to make windscreen hoop) Is this correct?

I was toying with cutting lower legs off so there would only be one bend anyway.

The diagonal needs a little fettling to make it fit better and within the 100mm of the backstays etc.

The material is upto spec... And I have a certificate of conformity for the material used.

flyerncle 11th June 2011 08:01 AM

Edit : Roll hoop of the correct height fitted with diagonal and cross brace to fit the seat belt mounts,the whole car went through without any remarks as to anything needing looked at for safety.

MarkB 11th June 2011 08:56 AM

I'm pretty sure the Kit Car series and the Locost series require full cages these days. Sprinting and hillclimbing call for MSA spec roll bar and rear stays and also sometimes a forward facing brace tube that tends to run down into the passenger footwell.

Bent tubes will always want to bend that's why the powers that be don't like them on upright legs of a roll bar. Saying a tube can be bent to follow the door pillar etc is fine if fitted in a saloon car like a Mini etc but a 7 doesn't have doors..:).

If I was to race a 7 I would want a full cage with side impact bars as I have seen what happens when it goes wrong. And putting Kit Cars which are 99% clad in grp in amongst steel bodied cars is dangerous in my opinion.

Cages made from T45 are lighter by the way,the spec of the material allows thinner walled tube to be used.....it's added goodness in my book of goodness adding .

flyerncle 12th June 2011 08:20 PM

It went through scrutineering at Cadwell no problem,although I personally agree it needs and will get a full cage soon with side impact bars.

Ricky 13th June 2011 03:10 PM

Full cage

Hi everyone just wanted to ask a question I was given the drawings to the full roll cage and was thinking that cage was msa approved but I red on this thread that its not now would anyone have drawings of a full roll cage that is msa approved and that someone could perhaps share it with me please or what advise could I get regarding the drawings I already have.

Thanks

flyerncle 13th June 2011 07:06 PM

MSA regs in the blue book will give you some idea of whats needed Ricky.

Ricky 13th June 2011 08:28 PM

Full cage

Thanks guys for the info and I understand what you guys are saying but ill have to see what msa south africa requires so ill have to see what I can do but thanks

mikemph 13th June 2011 10:23 PM

That is fantastic information... I have emailed various people trying to get clarification on this issue with bends in the front hoop.

Looks like I am going to cut the lower legs of mine and mount it to the scuttle area some how :eek:

flyerncle 14th June 2011 08:22 AM

I trawled through the drawings last night and the text and it would appear that the front legs can be straight and in one hoop,Westfield and Caterham offer cages with this fitted but there is a brace to triangulate it at the front.

I would be tempted to make a full roll hoop from the floor behind the driver braced to the rear top mounts etc to use for racing.

CTWV50 19th June 2011 03:23 PM

http://www.nuweldsectionbenders.com/ sent me this quote for ERW

To supply and bend - 50.8x3.2 erw tube as in drawing one 1x 148.00
To supply and bend - 50.8x3.2 erw tube as in drawing two 1x 76.00
To supply and bend - 50.8x3.2 erw tube as in drawing three 2x 33.00
To supply tube only, for drawing four 2x 9.50
To supply tube only, for drawing five, undrilled etc 1x 12.00
Net £321.00
VAT £64.20
Total £385.20

CTWV50 20th June 2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CTWV50 (Post 60298)
http://www.nuweldsectionbenders.com/ sent me this quote for ERW

To supply and bend - 50.8x3.2 erw tube as in drawing one 1x 148.00
To supply and bend - 50.8x3.2 erw tube as in drawing two 1x 76.00
To supply and bend - 50.8x3.2 erw tube as in drawing three 2x 33.00
To supply tube only, for drawing four 2x 9.50
To supply tube only, for drawing five, undrilled etc 1x 12.00
Net £321.00
VAT £64.20
Total £385.20

If anyone is interested in ordering the above from these guys speak to Paul. I can supply the pdf file quote and drawing if anyone needs them.

Cheers

Chris

Ricky 20th June 2011 11:51 AM

full cage

Hi I would like to know if I could get those drawings from you if you don't mind rjt.correia@gmail.com please

CTWV50 20th June 2011 11:56 AM

All the drawings can be found here

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showt...ight=roll+cage

Front Row Joe 20th June 2011 06:37 PM

3ge components

Does anybody know if 3ge components (original poster) is still operating? Their website doesn't seen to be working. If you have contact details even better. Thanks.

will_08 20th June 2011 06:57 PM

No they dont, but see this post

http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6626

Will

CTWV50 25th April 2012 08:09 PM

Hi another update on possible suppliers for this. This email quote is from

http://www.tube-bender.co.uk/

It is for a flat pack of the cage we have been talking about but without the side protection bars, with a diagonal rear hoop brace and in 38.1mm CDS which was what I specced as I don't need it to be MSA approved but didn't want to use ERW.

Quote:

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your email.

The entire cage would be supplied in 38.1mm OD x 2.64mm Wall CDS as per your previous email. If you need different sizes it is not a problem, please let me know.

The price below is for the front hoop, back hoop, 2 connectors from the front hoop to the back hoop, the rear stays along with a diagonal rear brace.

It would total £290 plus £30 delivery.

If you would like to go ahead then please let me know and I will send you my Bank details. I will then produce my 3D CAD drawings and send them to you, just for your piece of mind.

Turn around time is around 3-5 days.

Let me know what you think.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Many Thanks
Tom Wood
Director
If your interested then please contact him.

Cheers

Chris