Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Identify Wires (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3789)

geeman 6th March 2010 04:24 PM

ive got the haynes diagram for 1990 on models. Also no relay xi for me?

twinturbo 6th March 2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geeman (Post 33242)
Also i just realised that relay that the starter solenoid wire is connected to is an auto trans relay? WHats this for considering i dont have auto trans?

That's because ford had the GENIUS idea that fitting the relay and linking it to the imobaliser would fool the world and prevent even the most inteligent of thives working out that simply removing the relay and shorting the two terminals would get past the Imobaliser
:D

TT

twinturbo 6th March 2010 04:26 PM

Ok... Got to make the kids tea but if you have not progressed by later on then will provide a bit more info...

TT

geeman 6th March 2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twinturbo (Post 33251)
That's because ford had the GENIUS idea that fitting the relay and linking it to the imobaliser would fool the world and prevent even the most inteligent of thives working out that simply removing the relay and shorting the two terminals would get past the Imobaliser
:D

TT

that makes sense, ok ill short those out and give it a go. well, ill tyr to put the ignition bits of the loom back to how they origninally were. Hopefully it'll work.:o

geeman 8th March 2010 05:18 PM

ok, well i just got a spark plug out, and tried cranking, i dont seem to be getting any sparks, i did ground the plug before you ask. any ideas what could be the problem?

twinturbo 8th March 2010 06:01 PM

Put the king lead dizzy end close to the battery eart and then tap a wire from earth agains the coil -ve and see if it induces a spark.

Also check for power ad the ESC unit.

TT

geeman 8th March 2010 06:43 PM

before i do that i had one question. the output of the hybrid ignition module that goes to the ignition coil - is at 12v when the ignition is set to on(ii). I wondered when the car is off is the -terminal on the coil meant to be at groung and the + terminal not connected, and when the car is on, is - terminal still at ground and what hapens to the + terminal? i dont understand as why is the green wire from the hybrid ignition at 12v, when it goes to the- terminal?

geeman 14th March 2010 11:44 AM

ok, i think i got it sorted, as the engine loom didnt seem to be grounded for some reason, so i grounded one of the brown wires and now it seems grounded, however, where does the +ve wire from the ignition coil go to, as i says it goes to the anti theft module, do i just put it to +12v?

geeman 14th March 2010 12:26 PM

Ok, i got the plugs sparking, when i crank, fuel it being pumped in, puffs of smoke are coming out the exhaust, except, it doesn't start and stay running now? i put a teaspoon or so into the carb, still no luck, any ideas? wiring seems to be right if it is sparking.. i dont know what to do now?

twinturbo 14th March 2010 01:01 PM

Coil +12V goes to the Black and yellow at the ignition switch.

If using the orignial loom you will find that the circuit is interupted by the alarm/imobalise module . Find the 16 pin plug for this and join the 2 Balck + yellow wires.

Don't wire it to a constant +12 except for testing.

If your getting spark, and the plugs are gettign wet.

Pull the plugs and clean them and bake them in the oven at 100c for 30 mins. Leave the cylinders to evaporate the fuel for a couple of hours. Refit the plugs and check the lead order is correct.

Give it another whirl.

TT