Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Bodywork and interior
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th May 2010, 08:16 PM

2 beads of it holding fibreglass wings to metal wing stays at *20mph (GPS speed) - I would say that is pretty strong!
Old 10th May 2010, 08:28 PM

There is a primer for Sikaflex,collar a friendly windscreen fitter and scrounge some and you will have to cut it off to get it apart.
Windscreens are structural and that was the original use for it,also known as "tube of clips" if you get my drift.
Old 10th May 2010, 10:01 PM

Thanks to all, it looks like that is the stuff to go for. On reflection I think I should have done the job with steel so I could have welded it but I will go with the sikaflex and ratchet straps, I will fold the metal under the frame so I can pout in some hidden rivets. Thanks again guys, I love you all
Enoch.
Old 10th May 2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Thanks to all, it looks like that is the stuff to go for. On reflection I think I should have done the job with steel so I could have welded it but I will go with the sikaflex and ratchet straps, I will fold the metal under the frame so I can pout in some hidden rivets. Thanks again guys, I love you all
Enoch.
You are most welcome mate .... If all else fails .... Give me a shout & i'll come up to sit my lardy ass on it untill the adhesive sets

www.roadster-builders.co.uk
Old 10th May 2010, 11:17 PM

There are several versions of Sikaflex designed for different types of job. Some are just sealants (bloody strong sealants) and others are adhesive sealants (very bloody strong adhesive sealants). I use Sikaflex on a regular basis, either 221 or 521 dependent on the job in hand but to be honest either will hold anything to anything if the prep is done proper like . If you're sticking alli then it needs to be ultra clean so stainless steel wire brush the areas to be bonded first then chemically clean with a solvent, then apply the Sikaflex and finally fit the panel. It will be a huge help if you can preform the panel before applying the Sikaflex as it will reduce the need for fixtures to hold it in place while the adhesive cures (can be up to 48 hours dependent on type and temperature/humidity). PU adhesives like Sikaflex are moisture sensitive so damping the glue with a water spray can speed up curing times.

Google Sikaflex to find the best one for your needs.

D.
Old 11th May 2010, 08:41 AM

Thanks for all the replies guys, I will get the panels bent as close as I can, clean everything thoroughly and then clamp it all up for a couple of days to make sure it is all dry. Thanks Ronnie for the offer of coming round and sitting on it but given Andy's comments about how well it sticks to skin I am not sure this is a good idea. I was thinking of some sort of bonnet ornament but perhaps something slightly more subtle than a large bloke would be more appropriate:-) Besides I can't afford to feed you and I'm sure the IVA inspector would have sarcastic comment to make about vision being obscured. Do you have any sharp projections? On second thoughts, don't answer that
Enoch.
Old 11th May 2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post

Do you have any sharp projections? On second thoughts, don't answer that

Enoch.
I am sure it will go well once you get into the swing of it, alloy is quite easy to form once you get the knack

Yes I do have a projection .... I think it is IVA friendly though .... Not protruding more than 5mm from the surface & in any event, it has a nice radius

www.roadster-builders.co.uk