Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > SVA/Legal
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th January 2012, 11:01 PM
Big Vern Big Vern is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Milton Keynes
Posts: 320

Originally Posted by michael92 View Post
hey all, im a little confused to what is acceptable as anti theft... i have had a little search and learnt a tiny bit but nothing clear.

my scenario:

i dont have an ignition lock and barrell on my sierra column but i will be having a seperate ignition switch and a batt cut off, is this acceptable or will i have to fit an electronic immobiliser?


You will need two methods of immobilising the car for IVA, One is the ignition key switch and the other is usually the built in steering column lock. These are normally all one unit on the donor vehicle.
A new unit complete will probably cost around 100
Aftermarket immobiliser with fitting and required certificate (for IVA and insurance) will cost upwards of 150!

Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 09:14 AM
skov's Avatar
skov skov is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St Ives, Cambridge
Posts: 1,085

I don't think you need a certificate for an aftermarket immobiliser now.
One of the changes to the latest version of the IVA manual was to
"Remove the requirement of documentary evidence for the immobiliser".
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.