Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th June 2011, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Default Lathe for sale

I have decided to sell my lathe. its two years old and has had very little use for the past year and a half since i finished building the car.

everything works as it should. but it has had a couple of essential upgrade parts fitted. the Headstock gears have been upgraded from plastic (like all these smaller lathes have) to metal ordered in from the states which cost a fair bit. the bearings in the cross slides have been upgraded for a smoother action with less back lash. its had a quick change tool post added and a quick release tail stock.

so basically its got all the bells and whistles that the ones on eBay don't have. it cost me £475 new with no tooling and none of the upgrades.

I will take £300 for it which will include a static centre, live centre, drill chuck for the tail stock, keys for both chucks, standard and quick change tool posts, and a couple of tool bits to get you started (the extra bits listed above would cost you at least another £150 so i think my price is very fair) i will also chuck in the proper table for it which cost the best part of £50

I have seen lesser models sell on ebay in the last couple of weeks for closer to £350 with no extras. I would rather it go to a good home where it is used than it sit around, so it has to go if not on here then its fate will reluctantly be eBay.

Dimensions 350mm between centres and 180mm swing with digital rpm readout.

As for postage i would ideally like it collected as it weighs the best part of 40-45kg without the table and extras

My Pictures
http://s707.photobucket.com/user/ashgardiner/profile/
Old 20th June 2011, 06:51 PM
Super Moderator

Shame your in Rochester (well it's quite nice actually lived there for a year)... Sounds like a good price.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 20th June 2011, 07:26 PM

shame the piggy bank is dry
Old 26th June 2011, 05:35 PM

would be real nice but i cant think where to put it
Old 26th June 2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshG View Post
I have decided to sell my lathe. its two years old and has had very little use for the past year and a half since i finished building the car.

everything works as it should. but it has had a couple of essential upgrade parts fitted. the Headstock gears have been upgraded from plastic (like all these smaller lathes have) to metal ordered in from the states which cost a fair bit. the bearings in the cross slides have been upgraded for a smoother action with less back lash. its had a quick change tool post added and a quick release tail stock.

so basically its got all the bells and whistles that the ones on eBay don't have. it cost me £475 new with no tooling and none of the upgrades.

I will take £300 for it which will include a static centre, live centre, drill chuck for the tail stock, keys for both chucks, standard and quick change tool posts, and a couple of tool bits to get you started (the extra bits listed above would cost you at least another £150 so i think my price is very fair) i will also chuck in the proper table for it which cost the best part of £50

I have seen lesser models sell on ebay in the last couple of weeks for closer to £350 with no extras. I would rather it go to a good home where it is used than it sit around, so it has to go if not on here then its fate will reluctantly be eBay.

Dimensions 350mm between centres and 180mm swing with digital rpm readout.

As for postage i would ideally like it collected as it weighs the best part of 40-45kg without the table and extras

Hi Ash,

Have you sold it yet?

I have the space and the pennies just need to find away and some time to collect.

Cheers BV.
Old 26th June 2011, 06:38 PM

I've got exactly the same model. They're limited in what they can do but mine has been indispensable. This afternoon I've just turned a 70mm hole out of a bit of 5mm plate for my throttle body. I couldn't have done without it.

£300 is an extrememly good price considering they are the same lathe from the same factory as the Machine Mart ones and they are retailing for £550 without the tooling you're offering.

Last edited by gaz05 : 26th June 2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 27th June 2011, 02:33 PM

BV I might be able to help you there, I pop down ashs way every couple of weeks in my work van so if you two sort something out i can prob collect it and drop it off for you as i only live 20ish Miles from MK

Roadster No 2 build

Cost to Date : £93

** New Blog @ http://carlsroadster2.blogspot.com **
Old 27th June 2011, 09:35 PM

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the offer that would be most useful. Ash will let me know whats what.

Cheers BV.
Old 11th July 2011, 09:07 PM

Lathe now sold to me

Many thanks to Ash and to CarlKnight for picking it up for me - You're a star

Cheers BV