Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > General discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th July 2011, 11:39 AM

Default Hello chaps...

...and chapesses

Thought I'd join up and say hi whilst waiting for my bits to arrive and to get the ball rolling by getting a HandyAndy/Saturn flatpack chassis (if he's doing them ATM...can anyone advise please?).

Anyway I do have a couple of general questions whilst deciding what spec Roadster I'm going to go for...
  1. Whilst I'm not a very tall bloke I do have size 13 feet. Would I struggle to drive a MT75 based chassis?
  2. ATM, I'm planning on a mostly Sierra type build (basically everything mechanical except the engine and possibly the gearbox). Could I encounter problems if I wanted to mate a MX5 engine and box to a Sierra diff? As I understand it, the rear of the trans tunnel needs to be flared out if an MX5 diff is fitted; could this make things a little too cosy in the cockpit? (Although I suspect that's a question I should direct to Saturn).

Sorry for the questions, I suppose I'd better start thinking about a build table

Last edited by PorkChop : 30th July 2011 at 11:59 AM.
Old 30th July 2011, 12:18 PM

may i be the fist to say welcome to the forum.
where abouts are you?

Being overtaken is a sign of weakness.

South Wales Kit Car Club
www.southwaleskitcarclub.co.uk

WWW.HELPFORHEROES.ORG.UK
XBox Gamer tag: D34NNO
Old 30th July 2011, 12:24 PM

Welcome PC nice to see another noob ....just ask on here if you get stuck Spud is your man to answer that Q about the diff.
Old 30th July 2011, 01:26 PM

You may have to play with the speedo if you use a mazda gear box with a sierra diff depending on wether you use mazda/ford or after market clocks. Theres not much difference between the type9 and mt75 footwells only 50mm you may be better off with a hanging pedal box rather than a book spec.

Direct email phil@talonmotorfabrication.co.uk

talonmotorfabrication@gmail.com

Mobile office hours 07514098334
Old 30th July 2011, 01:51 PM

Ive got size 12 feet and with my trainers on I can operate the pedals, Standard type 9 gearbox/tunnel. I'll be buying some slimmer shoes for driving once the car is on the road.
Old 30th July 2011, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

I would go MT75 tunnel anyway, gives more scope when you want to upgrade.

If your planning on MX5 rear then I see no real sense in going for a sierra engine and box as you can get better power from the MX5 and it may cost less.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 30th July 2011, 07:51 PM

Mock up the space for the two options and try it out, i have type 9 tunnel so the wider of the two options and i find the pedals a little close and im only a size 11 but they are quite broad which is what makes the most impact really

Im used to it now but prefer to wear slimline shoes
Old 30th July 2011, 08:14 PM

Multiquote time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanno View Post
may i be the fist to say welcome to the forum.
where abouts are you?
Cheers for the welcome My location? Put it this way, you're not the only Welshman to post on this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonmotorsport View Post
You may have to play with the speedo if you use a mazda gear box with a sierra diff depending on wether you use mazda/ford or after market clocks. Theres not much difference between the type9 and mt75 footwells only 50mm you may be better off with a hanging pedal box rather than a book spec.
One of the few things that are set in stone is the dashboard. I'd like a minimalist aftermarket dash panel, so hopefully the speedo won't be a problem regardless of the final spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriesLandy View Post
Ive got size 12 feet and with my trainers on I can operate the pedals, Standard type 9 gearbox/tunnel. I'll be buying some slimmer shoes for driving once the car is on the road.
I tried out a Dutton pedal box in trainers once. It didn't go well

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo View Post
I would go MT75 tunnel anyway, gives more scope when you want to upgrade.

If your planning on MX5 rear then I see no real sense in going for a sierra engine and box as you can get better power from the MX5 and it may cost less.

TT
TBH a Pinto/CVH lump isn't on the cards. I'm still undecided on the rear set-up but it'll either be Sierra or MX5 - it depends on how much extra space the offset MX5 diff takes up (based on Skov's build thread). If I do go for a MX5 diff, then in all likelihood the whole build will be MX5 based. I think I might need to have a word with HandyAndy and Spud but I'll wait for the build notes to get on the Saturn website next week first

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark View Post
Mock up the space for the two options and try it out, i have type 9 tunnel so the wider of the two options and i find the pedals a little close and im only a size 11 but they are quite broad which is what makes the most impact really

Im used to it now but prefer to wear slimline shoes
That's what I was thinking about doing. I've had cars with small footwells before and have been OK. We'll see...

Thanks for the welcome and the help so far guys!
Old 30th July 2011, 08:25 PM

welcome
get on to voodo autokits if i was you thay have the plans for a full mx5 doner roadster and also do ford based roadster bits to all same as 3ge stuff so its all top quality
thay should be able to sort you out what ever you go for mazda,ford or hybrid
Old 30th July 2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz-r View Post
welcome
get on to voodo autokits if i was you thay have the plans for a full mx5 doner roadster and also do ford based roadster bits to all same as 3ge stuff so its all top quality
thay should be able to sort you out what ever you go for mazda,ford or hybrid
Do you have a link Baz? I looked on the Vodou site but could only find chassis sketches rather than build plans...cheers for the welcome too