Haynes Forums

Haynes Forums (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/index.php)
-   Electrics (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Make my own loom (http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3513)

AshG 25th January 2010 01:18 PM

if you follow the engine loom towards the bulkhead there is a big round oval connector. detach it from there. you then need to work down from the ignition switch wires to the other half of the connector. separate all the ignition wires away from the rest then cut the rest away leaving the ignition sw ones on the connector. you then have the ignition switch wiring and the engine wiring.

that was how it was on the 1600 pinto although i would suspect the cvh will be quite similar.

edit doh twin turbo beat me to it

twinturbo 25th January 2010 01:18 PM

I must add some photos too that data...

TT

geeman 25th January 2010 05:01 PM

thanks alot all, where can i find the ford wiring diagrams?, probably me being stupid, but i cant seem to find them. Also, what you're all saying sounds like a good plan, ill keep the engine loom as one piece, and then work from there. At the moment im going through the haynes wiring diagrams highlighting all the wires and bits i do actually need, and hopefully i can put the rest together from that. What sort of a fusebox would i need to buy?

Also i don't have a huge amount of knowledge about sierra wiring, so ill probably be asking hundreds of wiring questions:o

Thanks

twinturbo 25th January 2010 06:27 PM

Sierra diagrams are rare, generaly it's DEALER technical info.

I bought mine on ebay for 89/90/91 .. had an 88 set somewhere but they are awol.

they dont come up often, but dont usualy fetch much.

Since I spend a lot of time with Sierras they are my bible.

TT

Davey 25th January 2010 07:52 PM

When my car is ready for it I will be making my own loom up to suit. 7 Core trailer cable should do for the rear lighting (I'd like to use some snazzy LED light units so current load is going to be minimal). Fuse boxes are easily available and I can get water proof multi pin plug/socket gear from Durite (I have a local supplier that I use) among others. Planning to use an Emerald ECU for the ignition and injection control which comes with its own loom. One of the items I provide and install for customers is Thatcham cert alarms and immobilisers so that side of things won't be a problem. As others have said, break it down into smaller sections and its not so difficult.

D.

Jimmyd 25th January 2010 07:56 PM

PM me your email address I can send a copy of the Sierra wiring diagram.

J

AshG 25th January 2010 09:11 PM

davey. you will need 10 core if you plan to fit a fuel sender and fuel pump. ;)

this is the set-up i did on my car it will hopefully highlight what you need on the car light/service wise. the engine loom and ignition switch gear are separate looms but have to interconnect to some degree for switched live etc. etc.

Rear wire requirements
1. Tail Lights
2. RH Ind
3. LH Ind
4. Stop Lights
5. Handbrake Light (also needs extending to front brake reservoir for fluid level warning)
6. Fog
7. Reverse
8. Fuel sender
9. Fuel Pump
10. spare or earth if you have fibre glass tub

Front Wire requirements

1&2. Dipped Beam (requires a wire for each bulb due to high current load)
3&4. Main Beam (requires a wire for each bulb due to high current load)
5. Sidelights
6. RH Ind
7. LH Ind
8. Horn
9. Rad Fan
10. Brake Light switch

another couple of little things you will need to watch out for when making your own loom

1. sidelights must work when ignition is off
2. hazards must work when ignition is off
3 full beam can only be used when the dipped beam is on! but not when sidelights are on, or if all lights are off. the exception to this is full beam flash must work in all on off scenarios other than ignition off.

when it comes to relays you only need to use them when the switch gear e.g sierra stalks/savage switches etc cant take the current load of the device. for my car i have used relays for dipped beam full beam/ hazards for the flasher and fuel pump(switched on and off by engine ecu in my case).

hope all the above helps. making your own loom for the first timer can seem very daunting but its very rewarding when it all works. The plus side is if you ever have a problem you know the system inside out so it should be easy to fix.

Davey 25th January 2010 09:25 PM

Thanks Ash, that is a help. I'm not a stranger to wiring stuff up, I've built a few motorhomes and wired them all from scratch. Electrics is a large part of what I do for a living. The reason I was going to use 7 core is I've got a dirty great big reel of the stuff doing nothing very important under my workbench.

D.

AshG 25th January 2010 09:59 PM

haha i had a reel of 7 core under my workbench too. was going to use it but electronics is my thing and to have 2 cable runs down each end of the car would have been sinful.

Tatey 25th January 2010 10:01 PM

Ash may i ask where you got the 10 core cable from? After searching ebay and google i can't seem to find anywhere.

I think I will be going down the making my own loom route as it seems like a much tidier solution compared to butchering a loom and having a scruffy looking fusebox sitting in the engine bay :p