Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Announcements
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th July 2011, 08:56 AM

Default Couple of quick questions.

I may be jumping the gun as I haven't got the "book" yet but there's a few things I'd like to know.

What really is the best donor for reliability and for speed? I'm very new to all this but from what iv read so far people are using a standard sierra for an iva then upgrading? What is the reason for this, and could the mx5 route not go straight though an iva?

Also im thinking it will benefit me if I brought a flat pack chassis kit with the angles etc pre-cut to make things easier!

After I sell my projects that I already have I should have somewhere in the reigon of 2k plus to play with.

What are the prices of the steel people have had to buy compared to a chassis kit from Saturn?

I'm very inexperienced with all this so it's all a learning process so any help is appreciated

db
Old 25th July 2011, 09:16 AM

Sadly any car is only as reliable as its maintenance. If you buy a cheap shed of a car, its going to be nothing but trouble. However if I was to build another one, I'd be tempted to go down the MX5 donor route as its just a better donor car. The engine is straight forward to fit and produces plenty of power for its size. You can still get loads of spares for the Sierra donor, but little bits and pieces are getting tricky to find (dust caps for front uprights anyone!)

People use the Sierra for the IVA because using all the parts its easy to pass the IVA, get catalyst exempt emissions test and get an age related plate. Buying a flat pack is more expensive than buying your own steel, but saves you A LOT of time and hassle.

If I was to do it all again, I'd buy a welded chassis and wishbones. I saved a lot of money doing it all myself, but it added months to my build time.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:17 AM

Like deezee has said, its pretty much your choice of paths. if your on a budget, youll obviously save, the more your willing to fabricate stuff yourself. although cutting the chassis steel is a step to far for me! for the money you cant go wrong with a flat pack.

As for the donor why bother with one at all? a Q plate is no big deal. saves you having the carcass littering your garage! buy what you need when you need it.
Old 25th July 2011, 10:57 AM

Hi i have been lucky,
i managed to get my wishbones made by someone on the forum for half the price you can buy them,
the steel i bought through work for £86, and mainly bargains on here and ebay.

Being overtaken is a sign of weakness.

South Wales Kit Car Club
www.southwaleskitcarclub.co.uk

WWW.HELPFORHEROES.ORG.UK
XBox Gamer tag: D34NNO
Old 25th July 2011, 12:47 PM

At the minute I'm unsure on where to start donor wise as both chassis's are different...

I'm thinking mx5 at this point however it maybe easier to follow the book to completely and go sierra?

I suppose until iv studied the book (when it arrives) I cant really decide.
Old 25th July 2011, 03:20 PM

I've done the MX5 route and am buying a chassis pack for the MX5 when it becomes avalible (fingers crossed not long) seeems daft to waste all that time and the possibility of cocking up the compound angles all for the saake of another £100 on top of the Steel cost to buy a flat pack.

I LISTEN TO THE VOICES IN MY TOOLBOX

Old 25th July 2011, 07:11 PM

I'm sure when its time for the build to begin il decide on what donor il use.. If I can find enough information I think it will be the mx5 as there are a few turbo/supercharged engines out there making big power..

Another thought that's come into my head is has anyone tig welded there chassis and other components??
I will soon be investing in a decent welding setup but I'm thinking if I get a tig set il eventually be able to weld exhaust mani's, ally tank etc...
Old 25th July 2011, 07:21 PM

Flat pack all the way, or even a complete chassis. I have just cut and welded my own together from lengths of box section, and personally all the time and hard work in some ways I wish I had bought a flat pack/chassis myself. However I did get a lot out of the experience and something I can say 'I did that!'

Not that many pinto sierras around, on which the book is based. So you will have to do some mods that are not detailed in the book unless yoou get a pinto so I would not be too put off by building the mx5 version.

Mig is easier, but a Tig would be useful as you say. Considering buying one myself.