Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th January 2012, 07:08 PM

Default petrol tank

Hi all
working on the fuel pump and filter at the moment BUT looking at the tank there seems to be a 10mm pipe coming out of the tank running along for approx 2ft and then going back into the tank, should the pipe coming from the engine be connected to this pipe or something else,just cant figure it out
Old 15th January 2012, 05:57 PM

will need to know if your car has fuel injection first -

if its a carb engine you should have one pipe out of the tank at its lowest point to the engine via a filter and pump

if its a fuel injection you should have the same plus a return from the fuel rail on the engine entering at the highest point of the tank [theory being the system is pressurized to summink like 3 bar the fuel unused returns in a loop to the tank thats not used]

there are variations on these systems tho
Old 15th January 2012, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

All the sierra's had a return.

TT

Build Thread

Man Cave Mantiques

Cecil Street Auto Repairs Garage Carlisle

Build Cost £4181.65 - Last - Wheel Cylinders
Old 16th January 2012, 08:08 PM

Default petrol tank

Hi all
the tank came of a mk4 or 1500 spitfire and that is where the problem is ,on this tank the outlet is at the top whereas the on the mk1,2,3, it was on the bottom, so what i did was ,i removed the pipe from the top and sealed it with a threaded cap in mild steel , great that sorted that, the other little pip at the top i left to be the breather ,great that sorted that, NOW here comes the next problem ,in order for the bike filter and pump to work properly, i need to drill a hole in the bottom of the tank and weld on a 10mm plumbing socket and then add the 8mm pipe with a nipple screwed in to the socket, great that is that problem solved BUT WELDING A PETROL TANK??????? NOT SO EASY has anyone any ideas ??
Old 17th January 2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty View Post
Hi all
the tank came of a mk4 or 1500 spitfire and that is where the problem is ,on this tank the outlet is at the top whereas the on the mk1,2,3, it was on the bottom, so what i did was ,i removed the pipe from the top and sealed it with a threaded cap in mild steel , great that sorted that, the other little pip at the top i left to be the breather ,great that sorted that, NOW here comes the next problem ,in order for the bike filter and pump to work properly, i need to drill a hole in the bottom of the tank and weld on a 10mm plumbing socket and then add the 8mm pipe with a nipple screwed in to the socket, great that is that problem solved BUT WELDING A PETROL TANK??????? NOT SO EASY has anyone any ideas ??
Fill it with water? only problem is electricity and water dont mix! just wear some rubber boots and a pair of marigolds!

Fill it with co2 or similar?
Old 17th January 2012, 06:30 PM

Default petrol tank

many thanks to all ALL DONE ready to fit