Haynes Forums  

Go Back   Haynes Forums > Haynes Roadster Forums > Engine/transmission
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd April 2014, 07:35 PM

Default BMW build

Hi All, I have noticed a few people have built BMW haynes roadsters. I am at the point of considering suspension/uprights and was wondering what other BMW builders did?

I am considering buying the sierra uprights and wishbones for front and back as per the book. Then just modify the rear half shafts from the BMW to work into the rear uprights, would that work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I did search but couldn't find if anyone had done this!

Many thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 08:17 PM

Welcome to the forum bud. Thats the beauty of a haynes YOU choose what you want to go in and find workarounds to get past problems ....we have all done that in some manner of form, I have no experience of beemers so sorry cannot help you there, but I am sure some one will come along and help you out.....good luck with your build.
Old 3rd April 2014, 11:10 AM

If you are going to do that. just spend £150 on a sierra diff and shafts, it will be far easier. Still use the BMW enginer and box and get a custom prop shaft made up.
I guess you could get custome drive shaft made up bmw one end sierra the other but that would cost more than £150 you can get a diff and shaft for anyhow.
Old 7th April 2014, 11:14 AM

Sierra and now MX-5 are the two donor where all the kinks have been worked out. For MX-5 there are two separate designs of the chassis and suspension mods documented, and there is a lot of know-how on this forum. BMW-based cars are more just a subject of rumours. There might one or two built, but we don't know much about them. But if you feel confident enough, go for it. If you post your experiences here, it will be very useful for other builders later on.

That said, one French gentleman designed a full BMW donor version of Haynes Roadster in Solidworks over here, you might find it useful:
http://www.haynes.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=3265